Bergen in review...


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Swings!!Swings!!Swings!!

Spot the children...


Ah, just some of the delightful phrases uttered by your heroic travellers. (We edited out the profanities for our PG viewers.)

Our last day in Bergen was completely, chaotic - just see the map attached of how far we walked.... It was also slightly disappointing....


• The leper museum turned out to only be open for summer (just a few weeks away).
• Bri found some beautiful (and well priced!) sketches at the art museum, but the assistant couldn't find the "sale" versions.
• The Aquarium's entry price was more than double that advertised in our "Bergen 2009 Guide" so we opted not to visit it.
• The Maritime museum was closed
Where we walked on Day 3!Where we walked on Day 3!Where we walked on Day 3!

Now you understand all the whinging...
by the time we made out way there.
• "Viva Las Vegis!" The vegetarian, elvis-themed restaurant Michy was excited about turned out to be only open for lunch.


So we were a pretty sad bunch by the end of all that. It seemed to follow the general trend though, as Alyce & Mich had already encountered 3 museums closed for the "non-summer" season. All in all, though, Bergen was full-on and fantastic.

Some Interesting Facts About Bergen For You...




• Our hotel, the Bergen Travel Hotel, was built in 1900 as a school for deaf people.
• Bryggen is the area of Bergen where the first buildings were built in 1360.
• Bergen is listed as a World Heritage Site, and was Oslo's capital during the 12th and 13th Century.
• Hakon's Hall was built between 1247 and 1261. At the time it was the political centre of Bergen.
• When we rode the funicular up to Mt Floyen, we climbed 320 metres in 6.5 minutes.
• For more than 500 years, ST George's was a hospital for Leper's.
• St John's Church, (the neo-gothic one in our photos from yesterday) was built in 1894.


Cool, huh?



Well, fare-well Bergen. We loved you, even though you failed us in a few fairly big ways.

Love always,
Mich, Bri & Alyce.
XoXo


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BergenBergen
Bergen

Cool steeple thing...
Our Shared DessertOur Shared Dessert
Our Shared Dessert

Apple-Pie and Blueberry-Pie with vanilla ice-cream. Delicious! Also, weirdly, we were all posing and smiling for this shot...
"Life Sucks""Life Sucks"
"Life Sucks"

What an advertising campaigne!
Covering...Covering...
Covering...

Or fondling?


Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb