Texel


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Holland » Texel
October 5th 2009
Published: October 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

our trip

Green=HOME!yellow=where we went by carred=where we went by ferry

On Sunday we hired a car to go to Texel. Texel is the largest island in the north of the Netherlands and everyone at mums work said we had to go there!

We drove to a place called Den Hellder and from there caught a ferry to Texel. It took about one and a half hours in all and the ferry only took about 15mins, so it was quite a small trip.

Once on the island we decided to go to the beach. Though the blue sky looked promising the weather was horrible. When we hopped out of the car were almost blown away by the wind and it was freezing. On the beach we were amazed by the amount of foam that was washed up from the waves. As well as that the kite surfers needed somone holding them down or else they would of flown away!!! On the way back we stopped at a shop to get some shelter and the owner told us that the wind was blowing 30 knots!

Next we went to the Schlufter which was a vast marshland that looked amazing. We saw people walking with gumboots down there but as we didn't bring any we decided not to. Instead we had fun leaning foward against the wind and getting held up. We took several pictures then headed off to a sheep dog display.

The sheep dog display was a lot different to what we expected. Mum remembered it as dogs doing all these amazing things with the sheep and it being great. Although we knew it was an Australian thing we thought that it would be similar. Though we were wrong. There was an awful amount of talking (which we couldn't unterstand) and the tricks were pretty poor. Obviously sheep herding is very new so it was more to show you how to do it.

Finally we headed back on the Ferry (where I had dinner) and we got home about nine O'clock. It was fun to go to a place where the Dutch go for their weekends and holidays!

By Tom


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th October 2009

Windy weather
Hi Vietchs one and all, It was certainly a blowy experience at Texel. We were wondering if the weather was getting colder and thinking of you going to Scotland and what it would be like there. Weve only experienced it in summer. Youve been in our thoughts although I haven written anything for a week or so. Thanks for your long text message Alan. You obviously enjoyed your birthday from the photos and it must be fun to be altogether in St. Fillans. I don know how youll settle back to mundane life again in Melbourne but I guess it will be fun telling your friends all about your adventures and the different places. All is going well with Lise and Em and their babies. The big brothers are also accepting of their new siblings so far. Love to you all, Liz and Geoff.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb