Rainy Riga


Advertisement
Latvia's flag
Europe » Latvia » Riga Region » Riga
June 8th 2009
Published: September 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

We flew to Riga from Moscow with Air Baltic on the 8th of June, and once again our hostel mucked up our transfer! Couldn't believe our bad luck that it happened twice! Again tiredness made us jump in a taxi and hoped it was a legitimate company! We got to our hostel about half 11 at night and were soooo hungry. We couldn't find a 24 hour supermarket nearby but walked in the pouring rain to good old Mcdonalds 😊

Riga is a really small city (especially after we had just arrived from Moscow) and it had a completely different feel from Russia. You can still see some communist influences though. The old town has loads of cute narrow side streets and beautiful buildings 😊 I found Riga a little expensive for a eastern european country! I think I ended up spending more in Riga than I did in Moscow.

We went to the museum of the occupation of Latvia which was really interesting, and I left feeling very sorry for Latvia. The little country has been invaded so many times, no wonder the people are so patriotic! We seen the massive freedom monument with soldiers guarding.

It rained so much when we were there (June) that we had to find things indoors to see. We ended up going to the cinema twice, it was in english but had russian and latvian subtitles (my first foreign cinema!) We had planned a day at the beach at Jurmala but ended up just going to have a look since the sky was black and the beach was empty. It looked really clean though , I can imagine it being a good beach to go to on a nice day 😊 I thought Jurmala was a town but it's actually an area of latvia near the baltic sea with lots of towns. Majori was were the good beach was. We also went to Bulduri twice to the indoor water park , again because of the rain, but it was so good! You're never too old for waterslides!!!! The houses in the Jurmala area are all made of wood and are so pretty!

All in all I enjoyed Latvia, but I think if the weather was nicer we would have been able to see more!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

LocksLocks
Locks

Tradition to put a lock on a bridge after you're married
StatueStatue
Statue

You have to touch the noses of them all but I couldn't reach the chicken
Communist PropagandaCommunist Propaganda
Communist Propaganda

In museum of occupation


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb