Naples, Sorrento, and Pompeii - Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 19th 2014
Published: May 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Naples, Sorrento (The Amalfi Coast), and Pompeii



Although I said Naples, these are photos of mostly along the Amalfi Coast, our visit to Pompeii and distant photos of Vesuvius.



This was our first tour on a bus with a guide. Overall the tour was pretty good but the tour guide on the bus seemed to think he had to talk nearly the entire time to ensure we got our monies worth. Too much talk in my opinion as my brain was fried by lunch. I needed to see some of the sites without constant chatter from the guide - didn't really need to know that the Esso gas station was coming up around the next corner. ?!?!



Driving out of the port through the southern and eastern part of Naples gave us the idea that this area was very impoverished. The buildings looked run down, vacant properties were filled with trash and rubble. Just not a very pretty drive out of the port heading towards Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. It was enough to make me wonder if I would return to this area for any further travels.



Sorrento and the neighboring communities along the Amalfi Coast were very nice with lots of scenic vistas, winding roads, tight turns, cliff edges, etc. We made three nice stops along this journey for 30 minute break for photos, stop for additional photos and souvenirs, and lunch in Sorrento. We did a nice walk down the cliff steps down to two very small beaches to enjoy the seaside areas.

We then headed on to see Pompeii to see the destruction caused by the different eruptions of Mt. Vesuvius. This was a very good tour of this historical site and to see how this event unfolded and the digging that continues even today. This was definitely worth a visit to see and hear about how these people lived and died.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



22nd May 2014

Wow
This is all so amazing!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb