Pisa and Lucca, Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 18th 2014
Published: May 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

These photos are all in Pisa or Lucca Italy. The first 14 photos are of in Pisa and the next 8 are in Lucca.



The ship docked at the port city of Livorno. To get to Pisa you have to take a series of bus and rail to get there.



Rather than join the cruise ship tours, we ventured out on our own to Pisa and Lucca. We headed away from the ship, first by the shuttle bus into central Livorno. Then hopped a bus (told by the visitor information center to look for the #1 or #2 bus) to the Livorno train station about 2 miles away. Once there we purchased train tickets to Pisa and on to Lucca. The train to Pisa took about 25 minutes. We then proceeded to do a very nice 2 hour walk around the Pisa area (most people just do the 15 minute walk to the Campo dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles) to see Tower, Baptistery and Cathedral). We had checked on-line prior to the trip for several self-walking tours and found out there was a bit more to Pisa than just Campo dei Maracoli plus it gave us a better feel for the area including the Arno River that flows quietly through the town. Pisa was very busy place with all of the tourists wanting to see the Tower and Cathedral. Getting off the beaten path was a good idea just to enjoy some of the sites with fewer people around you. We did discover a great ice cream shop and enjoyed that before getting back on the train to Livorno. Getting back to the Pisa train station was quite easy (about 10 to 15 minutes from Campo dei Maracoli area. We found the train to Lucca about 30 minutes from Pisa. Again we walked this old Medieval town and saw the old fortress walls that had protected the town. It is a town still encircled by these grassy walls that would take about 45 to 60 minutes to walk completely around plus additional time to walk areas of the town within the walls. After a really nice self tour around Lucca, we quickly got back to the Lucca train station to catch the train back to Livorno about a 1 hour trip.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



19th May 2014

You Two
You two are something else! i stand in awe of your adventurous spirit. Drink a cool one for me.

Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb