Colossuem, Palatine Hill, Roman Forum and More!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
June 10th 2011
Published: June 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It is quite impressive to see a building 1900 years old still standing. Our guide Simon vividly described what it would be like to spend a day at the Colosseum. 55,000 Roman citizens given entertainment and food from 8 am to 8 pm, all provided by the Emperor to gain favor and control of the people. Popular emperors never used it and the hated Emperors opened and used it for their political advantage. It is a shell of what it once was, but you can still imagine what it was like to watch gladiators in battle and imagine what the walls and steps would have looked like with bright beautiful marble. Much of the Colosseum was stolen by the people and the large slabs of marble were recycled and reused to build St. Peter's Basilica.
We then walked over to Palatine Hill (where we get our word for 'palace' from). Most or all of what was private residence of the emperor is now in ruins. We did walk the oldest street in Rome, dated back to the time of Christ. The Roman Forum was a large collection of ruins which was formerly the city center. We saw the arch of Constantine and Arch of Titus, what was left of pagan temples, the Roman Senate, the ruins of the palace of Julius Caesar...lots of history to learn. We ended the day by walking the length of the city. We saw Trevi Fountain, the Spanish Steps, enjoyed a classic Italian dinner and hit the hay by 9:30. Rome is quite an ancient civilization. Thank you, Lord, for this rare experience.

Lots of pictures still to come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb