Mediterranean Cruise 2012 - Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
October 28th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Rome,

A shuttle took us from the ship in port to the main street of Citivecchia where we bought our train tickets and then a 10 - 15 minute walk to the train station. We caught the train to Rome from Citivecchia ( the Port suburb) - this also took over an hour or so. Our tickets weren't validated as we couldn't find where to do this so didn't worry about it. We sat with a couple who were also from the ship and soon discovered that they were Spanish and as we've found before, they have very little English.... seems they only know two words in English - Spain and 'little' when asked if they speak English... funny thing was on the way back they were opposite us in the train and greeted us like long lost friends! (Ah found where to validate the tickets on our return trip but the machines weren't working so if you need 2 return tickets anytime just let us know..)

When we got to Roma train station we found parts of it had been modernised over the years which is not a bad thing. Outside the station there is the usual hawkers and those offering tours and trips around the city in cars, taxis, buses and hop on hop off buses. One young Moroccan fellow came across the road to sell tickets for the hop on hop off buses and one of the taxi drivers grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and almost threw him across the road - obviously not happy Jan! Other taxi drivers told him to bugger off and pointed for him to get back on the other side of the road.

Well we wanted to go on the hop on and hop off bus so we followed him - it was a long fast walk to actually get to the ticket office - I was worn out by time we got there - it was quite a way to get there too - the Morrocan's get a kick back from the ticket office it seems.

Many of the Morrocans are hawkers selling jewellery, handbags, postcards, and all sorts of gadgets and cheap souvenirs but they're not pushy and will take a no for an answer. We've found them in all ports and cities that we've visited - they weren't around last time....

On the bus ride we saw the Colosseum and of course the souvenir stalls and the 'gladiators' around who stand with tourists to have their photos taken for a few Euros. Also the most impressive building I've ever seen - and it fascinates each time we see it - not sure of its name but do know it has a chequered history and was once Mussolini's headquarters where he gave his famous speech from the top of the building to rally the Italians during the war.

The building is adorned with many statues and has two high flanking monuments of men on horses. It is on Teatro Di Marcello/Pizza Venezia/Campidoglio so you may know the one we mean even from the photo.

We got off the bus near the Pantheon and walked for ages before we found it - I recognised the area as soon as we got there - nothing had changed, and we were pleased to find it open. It had been closed the last time and so we were really pleased to find it open and that it was the last building of the Roman era which is still in its original state. Also the tombs of former kings and queens of Italy, their final resting place in the Pantheon, before it became a republic. The last one we noted had died in 1926.

In Roma, we had pizzas for lunch - we had to have one each - one seat one pizza! Have had this happen many years ago so we knew the drill. Pizzas anywhere in Italy are so totally different to those we get in Australia - not my favourite food but they're relatively cheap in Italy especially when in some parts of Italy there is no English on the menus so you order what you recognise....

Near the Port entrance is a huge monument depicting the end of World War II - is incredible with the monument of a sailor kissing a nurse. Hope you get the drift with the photo but was truly incredible to see.

Later this day we were advised over the loudspeaker that winds up to 35 knots and huge waves up to ... depending on who you listen to, 21 feet/metres were happening in the Mediterranean where we were heading to Livorno - read Florence, Pisa. So the Captain said the Port was a bit tricky anyway being small and had decided not to head there as it was far too dangerous and we would go to Sardinia instead. Hardly ever heard of it but we knew we would find anywhere we hadn't been interesting anyway.

It rained a little during the night and was a little rocky - was good rocked us to sleep!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb