Mediterranean Cruise 2012


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Cagliari
October 28th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Sardinia,



We arrived here this morning to wet weather and how clouds and debated whether to stay onboard or not.. but you only come to a place like this once so decided to head offshore and see what we could make of the place.

It's like a lot of the islands which are built on the mountainsides so uphill walks... killers, and eventually you find it's all worthwhile. No protests here but the usual Morrocans selling stuff and the high end shops are around too.

We walked around the old city - which is up very, very high and eventually we found a way in and thank God we found a lift on the outside so we were able to get to the heights of the old city. Again amazing views of the sea and the city - very few places in Australia would have anything like this... in fact can't even think of one.. we went into an old church there and saw the crypts and artworks and all that old churches have specific to each one is the names, dates, photos or encrypted into the walls - quite amazing when you consider how they've stood the test of time... same with a lot of the buildings, mosaics, painting, fencing etc throughout Europe.

We found some great shopping areas which included Zara, Mango, Nike, Adidas etc. I found a jewellery shop that was happy to make me a pair of earrings which I am now wearing - very basic black earrings done in gold - made in about 5 minutes for $5EU so about $5 - I have hunted in Australia for a pair like this for a long time and so was very happy to have what I wanted made as I wanted for so small a price.

Back at the ship we had a nanny nap - was all those steps and the steep incline and lots of walking which make us so tired... and was doing this for the blog when Ann and Mary knocked on the door for a visit. Ann and Mary are sisters in law of Ian and Judith - my former Henley Beach neighbours and good friends - as well as sharing the same wedding date - 18th Feb.... although 51 years apart... I digress - but popped in to discuss the photos of the group plus farewell drinks and dinner for our final night onboard together.

While we've been a group - we've done things separately and got together at different times over the 24 days on the cruise. Some were on the same cruise back in 2008 - Canada/Alaska so nice to catch up with them again.

Tonight at dinner we were with Americans from Arizona, Canada, New York and Florida so it was an interesting time with them as they have the upcoming election on 6th November and talking about their respective towns, cruises and families - very interesting - this is when you realise your own world is so very small... at times. They were however, equally interested in our world as we were there's.

It was the farewell dinner tonight and speeches were made, songs were sung and the usual Bombe or Baked Alaska was paraded by the waiters between the two floors of the restaurant - normally they flambe' the Bombe Alaska but not tonight for whatever reason.

Just prior to dinner the captain was on the loudspeaker to advise that the winds and seas would be a little dangerous tonight and to secure our belongings
View from top of old Sardinian cityView from top of old Sardinian cityView from top of old Sardinian city

Wonder if the people of Sardinia are called Sardines....?
as we were in for a rough night... it is a little but so far so good and soon we'll be off to the floorshow so hope it doesn't get too bad.

Well tomorrow we start packing and have the usual farewell photos, brunches and dinners etc before disembarking on Monday morning - we'll be heading to Portugal to meet friends from Adelaide, while others head home to their own countries or will continue their journeys onto other countries or to stay in Barcelona for a few days first.

For us we stay in Portugal for a few days then off to London to visit an lovely older lady who is John's aunty - love her dearly and then onto the long flight to Melbourne via Dubai and Brunei - will stay in Melbourne overnight and will drive to Ballarat for a few days stay with Gayle and Keith before going on to Adelaide to see our mothers, kids and grandkids before we finally head home.

Time is going too quickly and we've had the most amazing time and loved every minute of it. The worst part is going to be getting rid of all this weight we've both put on - far too much food and drink that's for sure.

We're not sure if we will have access to the internet in Portugal and if so, this journey will continue and if not we both hope you've enjoyed this blog of our travels.... often written over a brandy or two so hope it all makes sense to you... it sure did to us! LOL.

Bye for now - if indeed this is the last entry for this trip and if not - look out for further entries!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 13; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb