Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 25th 2012
Published: September 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Rome this morning and had to wait about an hour and a half for the bus to take us to the hotel. On the drive from the airport it is clear that Italy is not a place you want to drive. Traffic is bumber to bumber and at times it seems everyone is going the wrong way on a one way street. Motor scooters are darting in and out of traffic and riding down the center line between lanes of cars and huge busses. I am more afraid of getting hit by a scooter than a car. Streets are so narrow I don't know how they do it. And, they park anywhere their car will fit. Saw one on a median strip and another half on the sidewalk and half on the street. Another off to the side in a crosswalk at an intersection.

After checking into the hotel, we went for a walk and had a bite at a lovely little cafe/pastry shop, stopped at a flea market, and then back to the hotel for a little rest before the "Welcome Dinner". The Albani Hotel is very nice. Nothing fancy. Clean and functional.



Had a meeting at 5:00 pm with all tour members. Simonetta, our tour director is very nice. Everyone is tired from traveling. I nodded off about three times during her presentation. The "Welcome Dinner" was very fun. Some of the food was good, some, not so much. The waiters were young and "hot" and very attentive. They put on a good show for all the old ladies. The entertainment was excellent. A guitar and a flute. Both men wer excellent musicians. Tomorrow is the full on sightseeing junket. Hope I can keep up. I have to be very careful when walking here. The sidewalks are full of holes and deep cracks. I've almost twisted my ankle a couple of times. Don't want to end up with something broken or sprained. I believe this trip is going to make me realize just how old I really am.




Time to go to bed as we have to get up at 5:00 am to be at breakfast by 6:30 and ready to board the bus at 7:20.

Buonanotte


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb