Naples is all gone away...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
April 17th 2008
Published: April 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bon Journo!
Well we were not able to catch up in Naples due to too many people wanting to use too few computers, but rest asured we are having a fabulous time in Italy. OUr ferry journey was fine, getting to the ferry and from the ferry to Naples was a bit of a journey since we did not have all of correct information as to when trains and buses went to where we needed to go. For all who may be traveling in Europe with Eurail, do not trust the timetable they send you with your pass. It is pretty much just very, very wrong. Also many buses and trains require reservations, which costs extra money, so plan accordingly.

Naples! Our hostel was awesome! The hostel was really just this guy's house. He made us super yummy food and we got to hang out with some cool people. He also gave us lots on information that wasn't in our guide book on things to do in the city. The first full day there we unfortunately went to the National Archeology Museum, which cost 10 Euro a piece and was horrible. We were feeling very crappy about Naples at that point, but then we tours the underground. It was really cool and interesting. We also visited a cool cathedral, a convent, and two castles. We ate dinner at Gino Sorbillo's Pizzaria, which was awesome. We both got what would be about a medium pizza a piece for super cheap. I had enough left over for lunch the next day.

The second day we went on a day trip to Herculaneam, Mt. Vesuvius, and Pompeii. Mt. Vesuvius is the mountain that erupted in AD 79 and covered Herculaneam and Pompeii in ash and debris. They were cities pretty much frozen in time. Herculaneam we didn't actually pay to see and that is a good thing, because what we did see wasn't that great. Mt. Vesuvius was socked in with fog and clouds, but we still had a good hike to the top. Pompeii was amazing!!! We took a ton of photos, so don't worry.

Our train ride to Rome was very much less difficult than the mess getting to Naples. We left at 6:30am and got in around 9:20am. It gave us plenty of time to check on and buy train tickets to Venice on the super fast train and buy a pass which will give us discounts and such. After checking in at the hostel, we went to the Colloseum, Palantine Hill and the Senate, and the National Museum of Roman Antiquities (it actually has a longer name than this). Everything was very, very cool. We absolutely loved the museum here. Mostly because it had a ton of amazing mosaics from Pompeii. You will be amazed when you see the photos.

Today we plan to see the Vatican, the Pantheon, and some catacombs. We are doing well in Rome, even though food is way more expensive and we didn't sleep well. Our hostel here definitely isn't as good as our last, but oh well. Talk to you all soon (probably in Venice).
Love you all!


Advertisement



18th April 2008

I can't wait to see your pictures ......thinkin' about ya!
19th April 2008

more pics!
Good to see you guys are having a blast! love you!

Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb