The Countdown Begins


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Pompei
July 24th 2007
Published: July 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Our trip is quickly winding down to an end and we can't believe it. Though it seems like years ago that we were in England, I can't believe that soon we will be back in the states.

Currently we are in Naples in southern Italy. This city has a reputation of being the mafia capital of the world and they tell you that if you are in downtown Naples then you are not to go out at night at all. They also warned us not to buy anything off the streets from people because they will give you a box and when you later open it you will find a brick in it instead of the thing you bought. The city is also much dirtier than any city we have been in. There is trash and all else everywhere so much that you have to constantly watch where you are walking so that you don't step in anything.

For us, we are staying outside of Naples about 20 minutes in a little neighborhood nearer to the coast. There is so many other things to do without going into the city that we have been very busy. The first day we visited Mount Vesuvius, the famous volcano. We took a bus near to the top and were able to hike with walking sticks the rest of the way up. It was our first volcano either of us had been to and was really interesting to see inside. From the top you can hardly imagine lava overflowing and spilling over the towns below. Next we visited Pompeii, the forgotten town, which was destroyed and completely buried when the volcano erupted in 79 AD and was not later discovered until 1748. It was amazing to see the city so well preserved after all those years. There are still the bathhouses with marble baths, many of the mosaic floors are still intact and some paintings can still be seen. Sadly, but amazing as well, bodies of people who were killed in the eruption were preserved and you can still see them. They look like just ash in the shape of bodies as if you were to touch them they would disintegrate.

Although Naples is a bit sketchy, there are places around that are very nice. We visited Capri, a beautiful island off the coast of Naples. The water here is so blue that it becomes neon when the sun hits it. We spent some time on the beach and took a boat tour around the island and into the grottos, or caves, made by the water in the sides of cliffs. It is quite a beautiful little island.

We are now off to take another ferry boat from Italy to the Greek Isles. We hope that this one works out better than the first, but seeing as though this one costs less money, I doubt it. We have learned from the first one though and will be bringing three bottles of wine instead of one, and maybe a bottle of vodka too. This marks the last country in our trip as we will spend the last two weeks in the Greek Isles.

Have a great end of July.

Love,
Brandon and Sami


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb