DAY 3, 4 & 5 Tour of Ireland


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
September 12th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our third day started from Killarney and we went on what they call the Ring of Kerry tour which was 180 kms of winding and narrow roads. The Ring of Kerry revealed breathing sights of the area as well as coastal views of the Altanic. We visited an Irish sheepdog demonstration of hearding the flock up and down the side of a hill and seeing different breeds of sheep that are common to Ireland. We visited the Skellig experience to learn about the nearby rocky island where early christian monks lived in harsh conditions and today it is a thriving bird santuary. On the way back we stopped for a view of the three lakes of Killarney, then completing the trip back to our hotel.

The fourth day of our trip saw us leaving Killarney and travelling north where our bus took a ferry ride across the Shannon estuary to reduce travel time and view the west coast of ireland showing the Atlantic Ocean coastline. We had lunch at an Irish pub before proceeding on to view the Cliffs of Moher a wall of limestone that reaches 700 feet above the Atlantic ocean. We then past one of Irelands most famous golf courses before going to Bunratty Castle. That night we participated in a medieval feast and entertainment in the great hall of the castle. The Lords and ladies served the meal and serenaded us with song and harp music of the middle ages.

On our last day of the tour (day 5) we went past the town of Limerick and through the midland region of Ireland to county Kildare. We visited the Irish National stud and learnt about Irish horse breeding that is a big business. We saw the Irish horse Vintage Crop who was the first Irish horse to win the Melbourne Cup in 1993. He is now retired lazing his days away as can be seen in the photo. We went back to Dublin to stay overnight before departing for MADRID tomorrow. Farewell Ireland we learnt alot about your hard and tragic history (especially from our tour leader HARRY).


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



14th September 2010

Hi From USA
Hi Carol and Wal, Love your photos and story. Keep up the good work. Liz

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb