Ring of Kerry


Advertisement
Ireland's flag
Europe » Ireland » County Kerry » Killarney
November 5th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On Wednesday our group (6 day tour) split with the 3 day tour group leaving us with about 14 people which I found to be a much better number. In the morning we went on a horse and cart ride through Killarney and to Ross Castle. We had a chance to go for a walk around the castle and get a few photos. On the way back I got to ride up front in the horse and cart. I was having a chat with the man 'driving' the horse and cart and he ended up giving the reins over to me and I got to 'steer' for half the way back. It was pretty good fun!

The rest of the day was spent driving around the Ring of Kerry. We drove in a big ring (hence the name, duh!) around the coastline and back through the mountains. We had lots of photo stops and it was perfect day for this because the awesome weather was continuing, a nice sunny day and it wasn't very cold. Once again the tour guide raved about the weather too!

Some of the towns we passed through were:

Killorglin - where I had my photo taken with King Puck! The story is that the town was about to be raided centuries ago and the goat 'Puck' ran through the town and alerted the villagers of the danger so they had enough time to protect themselves. After that the goat was then King Puck! Another thing about Ireland is that they have a story about everything! Most of them are quite good and our guide told us lots of them so it makes everything that little bit more interesting.

Sneem - outside of Sneem was the Staigue Fort that was supposed to be built sometime around 300 - 400 AD. It is partially ruined but the outer walls are still in pretty good condition. So of course we all climbed up on the walls and walked along the rim. The fort seemed to be in the middle of nowhere and the surrounding hills were really quite beautiful. This stop was also a good opportunity for me to get a photo with our bus. To be sure, to be sure! Heading into Sneem it is a cute little town filled with lots of colourful buildings. I thought it was really quite cool seeing all
Ross CastleRoss CastleRoss Castle

Look at that beautiful blue sky!
of the buildings and pubs so brightly coloured.

Ladies' View - This was a lookout named after Queen Victoria's Ladies in Waiting who apparently sat here admiring the views. It did have great views so we decided to get some group photos which was pretty good fun. We managed to take a timer photo after we set up our cameras on a rock and then ran back to get in the picture. Hence the photo is on an angle. We walked along the road down the hill a little bit and stopped again at the Leprechaun's Crossing. Another photo opportunity, yay!

We eveuntually made it back to the hostel that afternoon and had a quiet dinner at the pub. We had an early night which was just as well because the crazy hostel lady was about to lock up and leave (I don't think it was even 9.30pm) so we wouldn't have been able to get in anyway. It was a very long day but it was a great day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Me at Ross CastleMe at Ross Castle
Me at Ross Castle

Yes I am wearing thongs.
Ring of KerryRing of Kerry
Ring of Kerry

Along the south-west coast of Ireland
SneemSneem
Sneem

Some of the colourful buildings
Me and Steve 'Crusher' CaseyMe and Steve 'Crusher' Casey
Me and Steve 'Crusher' Casey

World Heavyweight Chamption Wrestler
On the Ring of KerryOn the Ring of Kerry
On the Ring of Kerry

with Julie from the tour


Tot: 0.273s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb