Hot spring relaxation, anyone ?


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » Southwest » Grindavík
April 18th 2006
Published: June 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa where you can pay to go in and deepen and immerse yourself in a lagoon filled with steamy hot water (about 100 F or 40 C) from nearby Svartsengi power plant. Why blue ? because of high concentration of blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). These bacteria could not thrive as the tempt cool in the air. It claims that the dead algae in the lagoon combined with silica mud can be cured certain kinds of skin condition.

On that day in mid-april when I was there, the air tempt is cold (about 45 F) and the water tempt is hot (98 F). Make an appointment to have a silica in-water spa treatment in the open air lagoon. Laying down on a wooden bench subimmersed in hot water, you are pampered with gentle massage to make you feel as ease and rejuvenating.

At the entrance to the pool, you are assigned a waterproof plastic bracelet with a digital chip. You are responsible to safeguard this device: to use as a key to open or close your locker, to charge a small amount of purchase in the restaurant, and to pass through the entrance to the changing room. Scattered around the lagoon are small boxes filled with white mineral silica 'mud' and it can be used to cover your face and shoulder and after it is rinsed off, your skin will be refreshed, softened, cleansed....

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 127; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb