Icebergs!


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
March 14th 2014
Published: March 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We had a little bit late of a start today since we decided to make up a little bit of sleep! Our destination for the day was Jokulsarlon, a little place about 200 km from our hotel in Vik. After grabbing a delicious breakfast (aka juice boxes and a box of cookies) at the gas station, we hit the road!

On our way we passed some gorgeous scenery: a few waterfalls, black sand rocky fields, glaciers and mountains. Everything is just beautiful. The weather today was great, sunshine the whole day!!

We made it to Jokulsarlon in the early afternoon, and it was well worth the drive! We first stopped at a little pull-off and hiked over a hill to view the icebergs backdropped by the Vatnajokull glacier. We were busy taking pictures when we heard this low rumble... We both looked at each other ("was that you?") and then realized there were seals on some of the icebergs! We counted about 10 total. After heading back to the car, we realized we headed a little bit more east to the beach, which was also home to several ice formations! We got some great pictures 😊

After the beach we went to the little visitors center at Jokulsarlon to grab a quick sandwich and then walked down to the little ocean inlet where we found even more seals - these guys were a bit more active, actually swimming in the water!

After visiting with the seals we decided to start the 3 hour drive back to Vik. On the way we took a couple of detours along some unpaved roads and discovered another iceberg lake and a beautiful waterfall. We made it back in time to enjoy a couple of Icelandic beers and local Char before calling it a night. It is cloudy and a little rainy outside right now so our Northern lights viewing chances aren't looking good. We are trying to plan tomorrow's adventure because it looks like the place we were going to go isn't open for the season! I'm sure we will come up with something!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



15th March 2014

Fun!
Your trip sounds like quite the adventure so far! Sorry to hear about your sandals and towel, Ernie! Keep us posted over the weekend....enjoying reading the blog. Wish we were there!!

Tot: 0.305s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0595s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb