The adventure continues...


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
March 15th 2014
Published: March 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke up today to a drizzly rain and almost no visibility! But, why would that stop us from going on our adventure?! Our first stop for the day was planned to be a little place called Dulhaoney (sp?) that has a really neat rock formation on the beach. Our visit there was abruptly halted, however, when we realized we were going to have to cross an ocean inlet to get there! No thank you! We couldn't really see the formation anyway, so we moved on. Our next stop was down a gravely bumpy road to a "point of interest" on the map - which was a short walking oath to view a glacier. It was pretty rainy, so we didn't spend much time before getting back in the car and continuing on.

We stopped next in a little "town" called Hauversgiller (sp? - I'm in the lobby and forgot my map with the proper spelling!) where we grabbed a quick bite at an art pottery cafe. After eating we browsed the pottery which was made by the owners. Unfortunately it was out of our price range so we left empty-handed.

We continued onto Selfoss, and then to Hvergati (sp?) where we found a little bakery and indulged in some pastries and coffee. We even found a liquor store where we picked up a couple of Icelandic beers! We then headed for Pingvellir National Park, and the sky cleared a little but the wind picked up! After driving through the park, we made our way to our stop for the night, a farm hotel just outside of Laugervartin. The hotel is on a farm, and we have our own little cabin room. We are about to head upstairs to enjoy a local meal! Meanwhile I am writing this from the reception area, where we are watching the dairy cows enjoy their dinner! After our dinner, we will grab some fresh ice cream! The sky is clearing and we are crossing our fingers for a chance to see the northern lights. We are in the middle of nowhere so our chances are hopefully good! Tomorrow it's onto Reykjavik!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



16th March 2014

day 3
Love the room key! It sounds like a neat place where you are tonight....I hope you get to see some Northern Lights! How's the Icelandic beer?

Tot: 0.276s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0351s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb