Puffins and glaciers


Advertisement
Iceland's flag
Europe » Iceland » South
July 2nd 2012
Published: August 4th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 – Monday started out cloudy, a common phenomenon here. We drove first to a place Jeroen wanted to see, with a rock arch in the ocean. That was cool to see, but even better was that from there we could actually walk quite close to where puffins were nesting. I had been wanting to see these birds for a long time, and it was so cool to see them so close. They are so cute and fun to watch. They have to flap their wings 300-400 times a minute to stay in the air, so they look quite clumsy, but they are great underwater “fliers”. From this site we went on to Skaftafell National Park. This park is famous for a glacier three times the size of Luxembourg. A lot of people go for a tour that takes them on a walk on the glacier. Jeoren and I weren't interested in this particularly, though the weather did not help either. But we did go for a hike to the glacier. Amazing to see. We also went for a hike to a waterfall. The rain had let up a little but it wasn't quite done. But it was a nice hike nonetheless. We stayed the night at Bolti farmhouse, where we had a cute little upstairs room with slanty ceilings. Jeroen couldn't even stand up in it very well. But I really liked it. We had access to a kitchen there, so we went to the little shop and bought a pasta meal to make. It was simple but tasty.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb