Budapest and Hungary


Advertisement
Hungary's flag
Europe » Hungary » Central Hungary » Budapest » Pest
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

More than ready to move on after 2days in one place. We are supposed to be travelling and you cant do that if you stay still. Breakfast was a cold sausage casserole on the train, where we washed up the mess tins in the toilets. Then before long it was Budapest. The part we arrived in was literally a building site. And very hot again. Nonetheless, after an age trying to get some local currency we arrive at our hostel. Yes, a bed again. We then decided to wander back into the city to see what we could find. Couldnt work out how to pay for trams so decided on wandering in. We wandered and wandered and wandered. Saw loads of the city but couldnt find a tourist info place. All we found was a small texas bar for lunch. It had 3 meals on the menu all involving chicken and chips. I went for chicken and chips. Still, you got a good meal and 2 drinks for less than a fiver. Aftrer more wandering = about 10 miles, we walked back. I now have a blister on each small toe. Budapest is strange. I prefer it to Vienna, it has much more atmosphere and you cant tell the people turn anything they can into some sort of business. Each bar felt like it was inside somebodys living room.

Next we went to Miskolc which is in north east hungary. First impressions were not great as its an industrial town. But then... they have countdown timers on their traffic lights. I dont know why but i was amayed by this. And before long we were away from the town and in the Hungarian hills.. where we got lost. Our campsite had close down (seemingly over 20 years ago) so the taxi driver dropped us at a nearby hotel. A VERY expensive nearby hotel. We could stay there. THe next place was fully booked but eventually we found a cheap place with what we thought was free breakfast. Exctited by our find we hit the town early. We had for lunch what can only be described as a cross between a doughnut-pastry=pizza. I liked it. I think. We then did a mini bar crawl until we it an irish pub. It was the least Irish pub in the world. The only thing irish about it was the words irish pub above the entrance. THe Irish would be livid. It was just a poncey restaurant. So we ate there. On the way home we got a bus but the driver got annoyed with me as i didnt know how to stamp my ticket but kept laughing as i was a bit drunk. Still, it was a cheap ride in the end.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.034s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb