Lots to fill in on...


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
September 11th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ok, so its been a while, im now in Slovakia so ive got a lot of filling in to do. After the campsite in Zurich, we went back to the station, managed to get rid of our luggage for the day and stepped out in the Swiss sunshine to explore Zurich. Really we were just passing time until we could get our train to Vienna. But Zurich is fantastic. Its a really clean place with apparently Europes largest clock (although we think we found it and it wasn§t actually that big - someone could easily make bigger). The day before had been drizzly so we had dismissed it as just another city. But today, 25degrees and sunny, it looked great. Ive already made a mental note of it being one of the places to re=visit in the future.

Before long (we spent most of the day in the pub) we were on the overnight train to Vienna. Brilliant. I slept the whole way and was ready for 2 days exploring on arriving. Vienna was shit. Well, first impressions anyway. We§d settled on a campsite but on the way our taxi driver was intent on showing us some of the sights whilst we sat in the back and paid for it. Also, his english was average so not much idea what he was really on about. He did recommend a festival on the Danube canal, so after setting up camp and doing washing (oh yes), we headed for the canal. there was nothing there. So we walked back to the centre. It was a long way. And it was 32degrees. I think i had high expectations of Vienna but it wasnt really that great and the views were spoilt by modern buildings and advertisements. Still, we ate out that night and besides being annoyed by a female opera busker we had a good time and i got to watch Austria beat France in a pub so good times indeed. Bad times followed though as i was stung by a wasp on my face in the night. The sting lasted 3 days.

The next day we thought we would be proper tourists so booked ourselves on a tour. It looked like the Vienna woods by boat and coach and had a good picture to go with it so it must be great. Turn out it was mostly about monastries and monks and stuff like that, explained in 4 languages by our guide. And when he spoke english he put on a really camp voice. Never mind, the tour ended with an underground boat ride which was cool... literally, it was 9degreea down there. That night was spent drinking and we had a torrential downpour but i left my bag outside so most things got soaked. Still, next up Budapest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb