Wie geht es euch?


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Kassel
May 16th 2007
Published: May 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello all! in case you're wondering what the title means it just asks "How are you?" (in the plural that is). So how is everyone? Sarah and I are doing just fine. I'm a little jealous of Sarah as she has a computer in her room with internet access anytime...alas i must use the computers at school to do all my e-mails...occasionally i can use the computer at home but it belongs to the son so i feel a little awkward asking to sit in his room and check my e-mails...for now the school will do. So what have we been up to since we have arrived? Well we did a tour of the city..in German...which was a little hard to follow what with the wind and the traffic in some areas..oh well...it's a nice town anyway. I managed to get lost yesterday....not so much fun when you're alone and not totally sure what's going on...or exactly where you're going...so i found the right stop but then apparently not everyone speaks English...."Sprechst du Englisch??....Nein...ok, das ist kein Problem!"...this was a common phrase last night and then it was followed by a request for directions to this nearby restaurant...the germans talk very quickly...so i had to ask about 5 people en route to the restaurant (which was only a 10 minute walk) to tell me where this place was in short blocks of directions....but i found it and then it was good.

School has provided us with a lot of homework and today we had our first vocab quiz...think it went ok, and tomorrow is a holiday here so no school = yay!...instead we're going for about a 30km bike ride to another town for lunch and then i can't quite remember how we're getting back...just know we're not cycling. And then this weekend we're going to a Bundesleague match...apparently it's a big one and i think the last one of the season or something like that so should be a good game...for all you English readers it's a football match, for the Canadians it's a Soccer match. Then next week on Tuesday or Wednesday (don't have my calender in front of me) we go to Berlin for four days...should be a good opportunity to see the sights...there is also talk of a few of us heading to Vienna for a weekend at some point...may be a little pricy but a great experience...never been to Austria before....hmmm. Also on another weekend we're heading to Hamburg too...i'm very excited for these little trips as this really is a great opportunity to do a little European exploring.

Anyway...i think that's about it..unfortunately school is taking up the time with work but all will work out in the end. If you're wondering where Sarah is she is doing a bit of shopping (einkaufen) in the city centre...i just can't do anymore shopping at the moment...not that i've bought anything yet...although i am looking into buuying some german pastry cookbooks to take home...boy do they know how to bake over here or what!!

talk to you all soon!
Much love to all!
Jo and indirectly Sarah too 😊

Advertisement



16th May 2007

Tres bien merci!
Dear Jo and absent Sarah, Thanks for your updates and lots of congratulations on progress being made, even though it's being forced on you somewhat. Nothing like getting lost to focus the mind on mastering the language, is there?? So this is just to cheer you on - and to let you know I think you're incredibly brave and courageous to be doing all this. I think once you can survive something like this you can survive absolutely anything!! Loads of love, Auntie Pat
16th May 2007

What a life
It sounds like you two are into this adventure full time now - now that the 'holiday' part is over. Welcome to the university of life. Have fun learning and take lots and lots of photos. Make friends and get involved. (but not arrested!) Your blog is very good, so keep up the good work. If you decide to go hang gliding or bunjee jumping (again) let us know AFTER the event rather than before so that we do not have to worry. (I am NOT trying to put ideas into your head) Stay sober (if possible) and have fun

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0331s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb