we have arrived


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Kassel
May 13th 2007
Published: May 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

so, we have arrived in Kassel and begun the program now. This is Jo writing as i am unsure if Sarah as had acces to a computer yet. so we spent 3 days in Frankfurt, which was a lot of fun. Walked what felt like a million miles...well for about 5 hours around the whole town. Then on my birthday Sarah was looking at the leaflets and found there was a Zoo nearby...so off we headed to see the lions and tigers and bears (who were sleeping)...and all the other crazy animals. Lots and lots and lots of fun. Then on the next tday we went to meet the rest of the group...this is where the solid...well mostly solid german began... On this trip we are bound to an agreement to talk only in German...we have two chances where we get a yellow card and then if caught for a third time we are given a red card and excluded from an excursion...which none of us want so german it is....

The group first went to Melsungen...we unfortunately were on the one bus (there were two) that had no toilet for the 2.5hour journey..oh and the air conditioning was broken and we were stuck inside a very hot moving box...sucked for sleeping and didn't make you feel too clean either...hmmm

Then we finally got to Melsungen and settled into our rooms and had some dinner...with some inredibly mashed potatoes...more like a puree...infact it was called Kartoffelpuree...potato puree to all you non german speakers...After that we mingled with the other students and then headed off to bed. The next day (Friday) we went swimming outdoors...the water was warm but going up to the slide was not...for some reason it has been soooo windy here...so that was a little cold..made you run to the top though..so that was good exercise...then we ventured into the town down a very steep hill and bought some phone cards....that was good. We then realised we had to walk up that steep hill to get home...hmmm...good bum work out at least...

After dinner we once again headed down to the one and only pub in Melsungen...but not before we went to an ice cream parlour where we ate what is called Spaghetti Eis...literally ice cream that looks like Spaghetti...tres cool. After having a beer we headed back to the Hostel, i repacked and climbed into bed...being on the go for so long makes one very very tired. The next day we were up early once more and headed off to Kassel...i was picked up first out of me and Sarah...and was very very nervous...i think sarah was too but we all know she will be just fine!

I went into the city yesterday and saw where my classes will be for school and then headed off with a girl named Andrea and her host mother and sister to the Cinema (Kino) to watch Spiderman 3...it was in German, but we knew this before we went...it was intentional and a good learning opportunity for us...although it does make you tired when you have to pay that much attention to a movie to understand.

Oh well, today the weather is raining and very very windy but is meant to get better this week so should hopefully work out well. I just want to say it is very nice to be able to unpack a suitcase into drawers and a closet...very nice indeed also to be staying longer than a few days in one place.

Talk to you all soon!
Missing everyone
Jo and Sarah but indirectly 😊

Advertisement



14th May 2007

spider man 3
hey Jo! Did you enjoy spiderman in german? 'Cause it wasn't that good in english...lol. Please tell me you took a picture of the spaghetti-icecream. Hope your having a good time so far! We miss you! Amanda L
16th May 2007

to be honest...i laughed a little when Peter Parker became all emo...just by pulling his bangs down over his face...he´s so bad ass....oooh....hehe

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb