Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
November 30th 2009
Published: November 30th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Berlin



The Presidential Suite
When we discovered we would be in Berlin around the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin wall, we booked our hostel right away. Good thing because a lot of the were already full. We ended up booking at Singer109 which looked more like a nice hotel. For some reason, the booking didn't work correctly through the hostel website and only booked 1 spot for one of the nights in the middle of our stay. After a few emails back and forth, they moved us into the presidential suite of the hostel for the same price. We had our own room with one queen and one twin bed, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen area and a TV (we watched part of Free Willy in German). It was SO nice!

Walking Tour
We of course took another free walking tour. Best introduction to the city, just like they advertise. We went to Brandenburg Gate, the Holocaust Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, the location of Hitler's bunker, part of the still standing Berlin Wall, Museum Island, Humboldt University and Humboldt's book burning memorial. Lot's to see in Berlin!

20th Anniversary
Monday, Nov. 9th was the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and it was so cool to be there for it! Katie and I had walked along a long part of where the wall was the day before. It was freezing and pouring during the festivities which was unfortunate. Luckily, there was a lot of hot wine for sale all around to warm you up. We watched the dominos that had been set up and painted fall. We also saw Hillary Clinton, Gorbechav, Angela Merkel and a few other people speak. We also saw Bon Jovi perform. Pretty cool stuff!

Going Out
We went out a couple nights in Berlin and it was so fun! Definitely a great city to party in if you're looking for one!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb