Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kev at Berlin HbfKev at Berlin HbfKev at Berlin Hbf

ready to catch the train to Hamburg.
We are sitting here on the train traveling from Berlin to Hamburg - in first class which is all very snazzy. Kev's just discovered that Becks Green Lemon beer is being sold on the train. Sounds interesting doesn't it?
Since leaving Berlin I've been giving the city even more thought so decided to add this PPS.
At the time of the signing of the Treaty of Versailles after the Great War WILPF made the observation that the conditions for Germany merely laid the foundations for another world war. Some historians, though by no means all, have been in agreement with this observation. Such perspectives though were not touched on in what I read when we were in the Reichstag - could it be a collective guilt about the Nazi period that such observations are not mentioned? Just thinking out loud here so if anyone has a view on this I'd love to hear from you.
Anyway thought I should mention that after we'd left the Silence Room, housed in one of the gatehouses at the side of the Brandenburg Gate, I wrote in the visitors book:
'Michelle Cavanagh, Sydney, Australia - member of the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
As Gandhi said “I object to violence if it appears to do good; the good it does is only temporary and the harm it does is permanent.”
Peace and love.'
I hope any non-pacifists reading this might ponder on Gandhi's words!!
Just a few observations on both France and Germany. Traveling through the countryside you notice the numerous windmills. They are a delight to see - a reminder that wind power is being used to generate electricity, certainly preferrable to coal-fired or nuclear power stations. And it would appear that on the whole householders are much more into renewable energy, especially in Germany. Flying along on the train we see so many houses with the whole of one side of their roofs fitted with solar panels. It would seem to me that Australians should feel rather annoyed about our lack of encouragement of such things - after all we have so much sunshine. What are our politicians doing about this? It's something I intend to follow up a bit more when I get home.
On that happy note I'll settle back, enjoy the German countryside and maybe read some of my book!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



3rd July 2008

Hamburg and on!
I am so grateful to be on this journey with you, although in a virtual way. I loved your comments about peace and solar power. Are you getting excited about coming back home? That is as great a thrill as leaving. Thank you for including us. Norma and John Tracey
3rd July 2008

Neta & Bob
Can't wait to get together when we get home and hear about all your travels in Italy. I intend to give Shane a ring in Ystad tonight as I don't think we'd have time to go to Sweden so will have them over for a BBQ when we get home. M xx

Tot: 0.504s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb