Berlin!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 3rd 2008
Published: May 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had an amazing time in Amsterdam, but sadly had to say goodbye today when we hopped on a train for Berlin.

Yesterday was an amazing day both weather wise and for fun that was had. We went to a market in the morning (Waterloopein market) where we browsed through some flea market type items, old vintage clothes and some home made things. I bought a taliban scarf (just a big scarf to wear around the neck) - seems like a lot girls here are wearing them and it kept me warm lastnight. We are starting to realize that it is way cheaper to buz baguette and cheese at a grocer and make our own sandwiches than to buy food; and to be honest i think the baguette and brie sandwiches was the best meal I had in Amsterdam! We also bought some cheap wine for a bout 3-4 euros and drank by the canal right out of the bottle, classy I know! We then stumbled through the packed streets of the red light district. We had been the night before, but it was way busier on a Friday evening, and the "ladies" were out in full force, posing and dancing in their windows. Its so strange to be able to wander around with a bottle of wine or beer in your hand anywhere in public and no one looks twice at you. Cassie has a frend that was visiting Amsterdam so we were able to meet up with her and get a little roudy. All in all Amsterdam is an extremely beautiful city: all the bikes, canals and old building architecture is sooo charming. However, it is nice to have arrived in our second detination.

We took a 6 hour train from Amsterdam to Berlin today and have just grabbed our hostel (which seems pretty rad so far) and grabbed some delicious thai food a couple blocks away. The neighbourhood we are staying in is full of hipsters. Lots of artsy stores and people around. Its a nice atmostphere though and we sat in the park and drank our 3 large beers for only 2.25 euros! what a steal. The plan for tomorrow is to check out a fleamarket type event and probably walk around a lot like we did in Amsterdam. We definitely want to see the wall and some other historic sites around town while we are here. The plan is to stay here 3 nights then carry on to Prague. So far it has not been a problem not speaking dutch or german, as these are really touristy spots so it is easy to get help and figure things out.

So apparently I packed a little too light in just bringing one pair of pants and 3 pairs of socks. Cassie and Kelsey both could not believe me! haha. And as it turns out, socks get really stinky when you wear them numerous times. Needless to say I will be doing some sock shopping here.

Well, I thought I had lots of internet time left, but I only have a few minutes left here. I miss you all and wish you could all be here to share these experiences! Hopefully next time I can upload some pictures.

ciao for now.

Advertisement



3rd May 2008

Great!
Hey Kristi, the travel blog was a great idea! Thanks for the update.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb