Leaving on a Jet Train


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
May 20th 2007
Published: May 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well the Eurostar may not be a Jet Train exactly but it got us to Brussels and after an hours wait then onto Berlin via a sleeper train.

The journey began with a bang!! Anna and Frank had kindly given us a bottle of Champagne to celebrate the beginning of our trip but it had got a bit shaken in my bag getting to Waterloo..... as soon as I released the metal clasp on the cork it exploded, soaking me, frightening all the passengers who thought a gun had gone off and nearly hitting the people opposite with the cork as it bounced off the roof!!

The sleeper train was a little compact but comfortable and after we had got used to the rocking and extremely noisey toilet! we were asleep. We had a wake up call an hour before arrival in Berlin and a surpise of croisants, coffee and orange juice free of charge. This trip also taught us the complexities of showering on a moving train...

Our 8hours in Berlin before we left to go to Rostock were spent exploring as best we could in a short space of time. We managed to squeeze in the Reichstag(not without having our swiss army knives temporarily confiscated!), the Brandenburg gate, a walk through the park to the Zoo, and a couple of monuments along the way.

The Zoo was enormous and quite maze like in its construction. A couple of highlights were a particular polar bear that while the others slept in the sun decided to have a swim in the water and then a good scratch over all the rocks and a particularly attractive camel as you will see from the photo....

The day ended with a 3 hour journey on the train to Rostock taking in the beautiful German countryside. We then had a 3 hour wait in the ferry terminal before we could board our boat for the trip to Helsinki. This was possibly the longest and most boring 3 hours of our lives!! The "terminal" was a room with a toilet and vending machine!

Our next installment will tell you how we get on with the boat trip and Helsinki....






Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



20th May 2007

hahaha..
haha i laughed out loud about the ugly camel. good to hear you're doing good. josh.
20th May 2007

Hope you got the e-mail we sent. Don't you remember visiting the Berlin Zoo all those years ago? I loved the photo's of the bears. Have copied some of them across into a file. Opps! shame about the knives, hope you got them back ok. Enjoy the ride, love you both Mum and Dad x x
21st May 2007

Hair Growth
Jason, Nolan looks like the camel but in a few weeks you will look like Gandalf the Orangutang
21st May 2007

Hey
Glad to hear the travel has got under way well !! Can't believe it came round so quick. Vix you look like a proper backpacker. You guy's will love NZ. Just back from Queenstown (adventure capital). Gorgeous but pulled my stomach muscles doing a Bungy!! No combat for a bit!!! Travel well guys and keep in touch xxxxx
21st May 2007

Nice pics
The zoo looks good, some nice pic's.Glad the the the Jesus look is coming on very well. Take care and look after each other.

Tot: 0.254s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb