Trip to Berlin!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
February 14th 2007
Published: February 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

During my half term break (Scott and I had different holidays) my friend Katie and I decided to go and check out the sights of Berlin.... What a wicked place although we nearly died from the cold and my ear muffs came in handy big time!

There is so much to see and do there and so much history as well - it's an awesome mix of the old and the new.
We did a four hour walking tour led by a kiwi guy (you can't escape kiwis!) who showed took us around all the important landmarks beginning with the Brandenburg Gate which stood in no-mans land the whole time the Berlin wall was up. We also saw the hotel that Michael Jackson dangled his baby from the balcony, you know the one!
The Holocaust memorial was very moving and also staring at the patch of ground where 30 feet down is Hitler's bunker. No trip to Germany is complete without a trip to a concentration camp, we visited Sachenhausen which I found out was the 'model' camp that all the others were based on. It also carried out the most medical experiments of any other concentration camp in Germany. All in all, a very sobering place.

Germany is definitely a place I will go back to and the steins were great too!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Holocaust Memorial SiteHolocaust Memorial Site
Holocaust Memorial Site

There are no plaques explaining anything at this site, nor is there an entrance or exit. It is just there, designed to provoke thought and reflection.
Entrance to the concentration campEntrance to the concentration camp
Entrance to the concentration camp

The words mean 'Work will set you free'. These words are on the gate of every concentration camp in Europe.


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb