Germany part II. Regensburg & Nurnburg – Our first taste of Bavaria


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Regensburg
June 9th 2010
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post


From Prague we caught the train to Regensburg. It was a nice trip through pretty countryside. We had planned on going to Munich but had to delay this for a couple of days because there was a trade fair on and accommodation was out of our price range. We arrived in Regensburg late so didn’t get to see any of the town straight away.

The next morning we went on a day trip to Nurnburg. We had perfect weather, probably the hottest day we’ve had on our trip! Nurnburg is surrounded by a restored medieval Alstadt (old town surrounded by a wall). The old town with it’s squares, cathedrals and rivers/canals is really pretty. We went into a couple of cathedrals - definitely the coolest places to be on a hot day! We had a scrumptious lunch of spicy Nurnburg sausages and pretzels, all washed down with beer of course! After lunch we strolled up to the Kaiserburg complex where we got a good view over the town and could walk around the castle and gardens (The burg). In the afternoon we sat at a cafe by the river and enjoyed happy hour cocktails and used their free internet to do some planning (car hire for black forest, flights and train trip to Switzerland). Richie also got excited reading the lineup for the Sonisphere festival he’ll be at in a weeks time just out of Zurich!

We (well maybe more Lysh) would love to come back to Nurnburg for it’s famous Christmas market. The town was really pretty when we were there but would be so magical when covered in snow.

The following morning we had time to explore Regensburg before heading off. It is a lovely little town which is a Unesco Heritage Area. It was very peaceful in the morning and a lovely break from touristy spots. We had a nice walk through town and over the old stone bridge which crosses the Danube River. There are some beautiful old buildings in town. We enjoyed breakfast on the roof of a shopping centre which overlooks the Dom St Peter (St. Peter’s Cathedral). With full bellies and feeling calm after a break from tourists (apart from ourselves!) we caught the train to Munich.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0718s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb