Czech Part 2 - Cesky Krumlov - Friends, adventure and castles


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

On our last full day in Prague we gave our legs a rest and hired a car to get out to Cesky Krumlov, a few hours south of Prague. Richie chauffeured his 4 lovely ladies in the dodgiest hire car we had come across - a tiny Skoda (too small for 5 of us) without hub caps and which developed a strange noise later in the day... On the drive down we took a punt and followed a brown tourist sign which brought us to Castle Zvikov. which overlooks a gorgeous lake. We couldn’t actually go inside the castle as it was being used for a film set but we enjoyed wandering around the grounds.

We all loved Cesky Krumlov with it’s beautiful buildings, river and castle. Thanks for the recommendation Tyson! It is a real fairytale village and we loved wandering around the lanes and the castle and gardens overlooking the town. We found some awesome photo snapping spots and drawing spots for Em. There’s a moat around the castle where bears live. They were very cute but we didn’t think they had a very nice place to live.

After exploring Cesky Krumlov we decided to hit the road for Prague but with a bit of daylight left we changed our minds at and decided to see this bone church after all! Destination Kutna hora! The drive through the country side was amazing, although the streets and the Czech drivers are insane!!!! By this stage the strange car noise had started and we were running low on fuel. It was getting late in the day by this stage and we kept driving though lots of tiny villages (Emily has a list of them) which seemed to take forever and any petrol stations were closed! We were all picturing spending the night in the Czech countryside! It was okay though, we arrived in Kutna Hora just as it got dark. We asked for directions to the bone church but communication was a little hard and we didn’t end up finding the church. We had all given up on seeing it and went to dinner and then back to Prague. Lysh later realised that our guide book which we had in the car told us exactly where it was - oops! We have decided that we just weren’t supposed to see bones on this trip after failed attempts in Rome (the crypt), Paris (the catacombs) and now in Kutna Hora!

When we got back we all stayed up for a while doing some travel planning and laughing about our misadventures! We then said our final goodbyes as the girls all had early flights the next day. That night the 5 of us ended up in 3 different countries from where we were in the morning! Thanks again for a great weekend girls - just like old times!! One of us will get to the bone church........... one day!

On our last morning in Prague we had a final wander around the city, went up the clock tower of the old Town Hall tower and a better look around the Palace and St Vitus Cathedral. We were a bit lonely and missing the girls! After this we were sitting by the Vltava River and taking in the view when there was a little mishap...... Lysh’s uncoordination struck again and she ended up waist deep in the river! Unfortunately this was just before we had to get to the train station so the half hour walk there with our packs on and in wet smelly river water clothes and squishy shoes wasn’t very pleasant! Oh well we can laugh about it now!



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb