Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
March 3rd 2015
Published: March 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

MunichMunichMunich

Marienplatz clocktower
We went off to Munich on the train a couple of weeks ago. The train ride was lovely: up into the Dolomites, through a sliver of Austria and out just a bit over the Germany border right into the city.

The first thing we noticed walking out of the train station to our hotel was the prevalence of immigrants--West Africans, North Africans, Turks, and more. The next thing we noticed was the cold.

After leaving our bags we headed out to the center, Marienplatz, to see and do and eat. My heart sank a bit. I didn't like the buildings, nor the look of the city. The entire center of town looked rather like a large shopping mall--a monument to capitalism and consumerism. Oh, and the glockenspiel is kinda lame. The food looked unappetizing. And then there was the German! It could be in Cyrillic for all I know, so unfamiliar to me it is. But we found a restaurant--Zum Sperling--and a nice waitress named Maria (my grandmother's name, I told her) who showed us a few things on the map. I ate boiled beef (more on that later) and cheese and felt better. And then we strolled. We
MunichMunichMunich

Getting our beerings
strolled into a tiny plaza on a whim, where a bird sat in a tree and sang and sang, improbably, in the cold. Then we found a cozy bar with colored lights, with blankets draped on all the chairs, where a very sweet young woman and I had a protracted conversation about cocktails. She swore they didn't serve them...just martinis, rum, vodka, whiskey...turns out we had a language problem. Or I did. We laughed, had drinks, laughed some more.

The next day, on to other things: climbing the tower at St. Peter's; the Viktulienmarkt (as in victuals) to taste from various food stands; puzzling out public transportation (with the help of the kind Andrea K. at our hotel); Ferdinand Hodler and more in the Neue Pinakothek Museum (loved it!). Giving up on German cuisine, we went off to a place called the Burrito Company. Staffed by the friendly Jakob, who spent time studying in Boston and therefore was delighted to speak English, we had a happy meal. We noticed then, and continued to notice that every single person we encountered in Munich had been kind, helpful and sweet.

Snow fell overnight and we awoke to a white-dusted world.
MunichMunichMunich

Lovely building and brawling boys
We left after bidding farewell to our welcoming hotel clerk, Andrea. As we stepped outside, we noticed that the temperature had dropped further, but Munich, with each passing day, had grown a little warmer and brighter.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Dessert!Dessert!
Dessert!

Cheesecake
More cheesecakeMore cheesecake
More cheesecake

and beefcake!
MunichMunich
Munich

Bar hopping
MunichMunich
Munich

More bar hopping
Asam's ChurchAsam's Church
Asam's Church

This weird little church got top billing on tripadvisor.com. It is an over-the-top display of every kind of embellishment possible.
Asam's churchAsam's church
Asam's church

Weird little winged skulls
PeterskirchePeterskirche
Peterskirche

Not the loveliest church, but the biggest in the town center. The boys climbed the bell tower for a great and vertiginous view of the city.
Peterskirche relicPeterskirche relic
Peterskirche relic

Germany has more relics than anywhere in Europe. A creepy statistic, and this was a creepy relic, that of St. Munditia.
Coffee and ChristCoffee and Christ
Coffee and Christ

Or rather, kaffe? This crucifix was hanging on the wall in a coffeehouse.
MunichMunich
Munich

The Neue Pinakothek. I was ready for more art, but the guys were finished.
MunichMunich
Munich

Happy at the Burrito Company.
Munich morningMunich morning
Munich morning

We woke up to this outside our window
Munich Munich
Munich

The snow-dusted building across the street. There were many such buildings like this in Munich. Very lovely and understated; even lovelier in the snow.
Train rideTrain ride
Train ride

Innsbruck, Austria


4th March 2015

Such a great post. Better that it was not very lovely buildings but lovely people, instead of the other way around. Your bar story reminds me of when my mother in law went to a cafe in Italy looking for her two friends. She thought she asked the worker if they saw 'dos Americanos,' but realized her mistake when she got two watered down espressos. Glad you are having a wonderful time with your family. Love to all.

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb