European Adventure 2013 - end of journey!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
November 6th 2013
Published: November 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Munich Alte Pinakothek MuseumMunich Alte Pinakothek MuseumMunich Alte Pinakothek Museum

Steps to the first floor galleries with paintings dating back to 13th Century
One of our fellow cyclists, Werner from Munich, said to us in August " beware, zere vill be cold rain in Munchen in November!". Well it waited till the last day of our holiday, but Werner was 100% correct. A very ordinary day dawned and we had to abandon plans to cycle to a couple of museums. We used the metro (absolutely fantastic - why can't we run trains like this in Sydney?) and spent quite a few hours in the Alte Pinakothek, a gallery/museum packed full of old masters dating from 13th century onwards. Most of the artworks were in pristine condition and well worth the time spent.

We were tired but decided to head across to the Pinakothek Der Moderne - just down the road - where we had a late lunch then a quick look at a mixture of installations, modern art and some originals by Dali, Picasso and a few other well known artists. My (Ced's) favourite was a huge display of classic cars - not very arty but great to look at. (Caro's favourite, by the way was a group of paintings by Flemish painters including Pieter Bruegel, Jan Bruegel and Jan van Kessel. She spent lots of time admiring the beauty and vitality of these works).

We then headed into the city centre in the late afternoon for some last minute gift shopping then back to our apartment.

Well that's all there is. No more blogging for the foreseeable future. We are really looking forward to home sweet home (other cliches come to mind but we won't use them).

We find it hard to believe that anyone would want to read all this stuff we've churned out over the past 3 months. To anyone who has stuck with us over this time, please forward your name and address and we will send you a special "Dogged Determination" certificate!

Love to all and see you soon!!

Caro & Ced.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Munich Alte Pinakothek MuseumMunich Alte Pinakothek Museum
Munich Alte Pinakothek Museum

Madonna (can't remember the painter, sorry)
Munich Pinakothek der ModerneMunich Pinakothek der Moderne
Munich Pinakothek der Moderne

Exhibition on Design
Munich Pinakothek der ModerneMunich Pinakothek der Moderne
Munich Pinakothek der Moderne

German-designed cars, this one in the 30s
Munich Pinakothek der ModerneMunich Pinakothek der Moderne
Munich Pinakothek der Moderne

Sculpture by Bernard Schultze


2nd February 2014
Munich Alte Pinakothek Museum

Bring along a museum guide!
The museum has so much to see, it gave me "artwork fatigue" after the first 20 paintings. I brought along the Periplus guide (www.peripl.us) in my Smartphone, that certainly helped in understanding some of the important works there.

Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0916s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb