European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
November 5th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

MunichMunichMunich

Part of the Englisher Garten with Monopteros (top right)
We said farewell to our fellow bus riders last night and we were planning to stay at the hotel till check-out time at noon. Between breakfast & check-out we ran into some of our fellow travellers at least 3 times - more farewells, more air-kisses and more promises to try and stay in touch. It was a great relief to leave the hotel and head off to the Englischer Garten for a walk in the sunshine! This beautiful parkland is in the heart of Munich and the forecast rain stayed away so we had a very pleasant walk.

We visited the Haus der Kunst - a contemporary art museum - and had lunch in the very ornate dining area. This building was one of the first monumental buildings constructed by the Nazis in the 1930's to impress the German populace. After the war, the Americans turned it into a casino (!) before it eventually became a centre for modern art. We then walked to the Odeonsplatz and visited the opulent Theatinerkirche - a huge cathedral in the square dating back to the 17th century. Apparently the Odeonsplatz was used by Adolf Hitler in his early days to deliver his rants.
MunichMunichMunich

Weir & stream in the Englisher Garten


Time to head to our apartment where we will spend the last 2 days before heading home. We met our host Paul who gave us enough sightseeing information to last a couple of weeks. If the sunny weather holds we will do our sightseeing on bikes which Paul has provided for us - Munich has an extensive network of cycle paths so we hope we'll be able to use them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

MunichMunich
Munich

Kunst Contemporary Art Museum - housed in the first monumental building built by the Nazis to impress the population
MunichMunich
Munich

Cafe in the Kunst Contemporary Art Museum where we had lunch
MunichMunich
Munich

Theatinerkirche
MunichMunich
Munich

Main altar in the Theatinerkirche


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb