2) Did our adventurers find one another again?


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
August 15th 2013
Published: October 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


It's day two and we're in Munich. The gate where Glenda's plane arrived from Berlin is at the other end of the airport from where Mike's landed. Since Glenda's plane was scheduled to arrive earlier, she made her way to the arrivals area and we managed to find one another.

The weather in Munich is wonderful, with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid seventies.

Mike's plane arrived half an hour early, so there was no problem getting to the Munich train station in time for the one o'clock train to Nuremberg. It was an express train and at 200 mph we arrived at Nuremburg hauptbanhof in just an hour! We could really use trains like these back home (although the airlines would never go for it).



The countryside was lovely, with lots of hops and other crops growing between Munich and Ingolstadt. Then more pine forests as we got close to Nuremberg. We took turns napping so that we both would make it through the evening with our hosts, the Hagens.

We were greeted at the train station by Glenda's German sister, Angela. It's great to have someone so nice pick us up and whisk us away. (Glenda spent the year after high school living with Angela and her family - the Salomons - in Wurzburg.) Angela also spent a year as an exchange student in America and went to the same school Glenda graduated from, so her English is quite good.

We had a special treat when we arrived home. We found Peter, Angela's husband, still there when we arrived. It was nearly 3 pm and he was just getting ready to return to work after mittagessen. Peter and Angela both work at his medical practice in Nuremburg.

Angela and Peter always make us feel so welcomed. Peter's bright smile and exuberant manner make him quite fun to be around. It's a nice coincidence that the first room on our trip is one where we've stayed before. We were first here back in 1992, just after they bought their new house.

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with Angela over coffee and kuchen in the garden. Soon Peter was home for the evening. We talked about our trip over dinner. (Were we really going to drive all the way to Sicily and back?) Peter's English is also quite good (which helped since Mike's one year of high school German is only a distant memory).

Angela shared her plans for the weekend over dessert, along photos from her life that she had gathered in preparation for her 60th birthday in September. We were off to bed early so we could catch up on our sleep and get adjusted to being 6 hours ahead of NY.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 13; qc: 52; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb