2007-09-27 Oktoberfest!!!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
September 26th 2007
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To OKTOBERFEST

And make it snappy....

It begins....It begins....It begins....

From talking to the locals you don't actually need to eat any food at Oktoberfest. You get all your calorie needs from your beer.
We made it!!!

We arrived in Munich a day early and managed to find the camp ground by following the tram lines. We parked in a side street near the camp ground and headed in to town for a wander around. It was the perfect opportunity to due urgent things like update the blog and get some laundry done. We managed to sleep in the van, even with the loud raindrops banging on the roof, and checked in the next morning. Still raining, we decided to put up the tent incase it made a turn for the worse. Talk about a laugh!!! The tent we have carried around for 2 months (still in its packaging) would barely even fit a child let alone the 2 of us with our bedding and a change of clothes. So after spending the time to set it up, in the rain, it was back to the van. We still managed to use the camp ground facilities like showers and toilets so it wasn't all bad.

After showers and a change into dry clothes we headed into the Oktoberfest festival. Just a short tram ride and then follow the crowd of leiderhosen men and
What's with the Ginger Bread?What's with the Ginger Bread?What's with the Ginger Bread?

Don't exactly know but people had them around their necks so we followed suit...
pretty apron wearing women. You could tell the tourists by the warm casual clothes they were wearing and we were surprised to see that it really is a festival dominated by locals rather than international tourists. We tried to get into a few beer halls but realised that the party had already started as at 4pm you couldn't move at all in most of them. You can only get service if you're at a table too so we had to pass on the beer hall scene for day 1. Instead we wandered the carnival streets and did a lot of people watching and ate hotdogs! We also met up with Tom and Sharyn, 2 mates from where I worked before the trip. We had a few steins and headed into town for dinner and a few more. What we thought was 4 pork schnitzel specials turned out to be 4 gigantic pork knuckles. I don't think any of us finished our meal but Lew and Tom at least got down to the bone.

Next day we headed back into the festival at about 9.30am and managed to grab a spot at a table with 3 other Aussies on one
More PigMore PigMore Pig

We ordered schnitzel but got pork knuckle instead. Not a bad mixup really...
side of us and some German (sorry, Bavarian) hockey players on the other side of us. Once the Umpa Band started up and our drinks arrived the whole place came alive. It was like a huge hall at the easter show with a round stage for the band in the middle. It was pretty crazy. The whole place was decorated and murals were painted on the walls and people were singing and dancing on their chairs. It was just so much fun!

After starting the day still with a hangover, then having steins for breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea, Lew had had enough drinking for the two of us and we went to find some tasty hotdogs. We then headed back to the van for a nap that carried through the night.

Next day the heavens opened up so we cancelled our last night's accommodation. We still headed back into the festival as we had souvenirs to buy and more hotdogs and gingerbread to eat. Then we headed home.

Cheers,
Lew and Holly


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Oktoberfest CampingOktoberfest Camping
Oktoberfest Camping

2 Man tent my ass... we struggled to fit through the front door
We Made it...We Made it...
We Made it...

Yaaaahhh....
Now thats a Beer Hall!!!Now thats a Beer Hall!!!
Now thats a Beer Hall!!!

We supposedly picked one of the better tents to be in... not the best beer, but the best atmosphere...
Beer CarriageBeer Carriage
Beer Carriage

The way beer should be transported...
Now that's a HotdogNow that's a Hotdog
Now that's a Hotdog

Pity about the weather... :(


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.056s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb