Oktoberfest and more


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
October 1st 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Drunk againDrunk againDrunk again

Oktoberfest, brezens and bier!
After a nice drive through the countryside from Salzburg we arrived in Landshut and met up with Krystel and Finno´s brother Matt. That night we enjoyed many a beers and getting Finno´s aunty, Margit, smashed on red wine, she is a very funny lady. The following day we headed to Oktoberfest and found that opening day is packed to the rafters, after failing to get a spot in one of the tents we were lucky to secure a table in a beer garden. Once the keg was tapped at 12 the beers started flowing. Finno´s cousins joint us in the arvo and we sunk many 1 litre steins. I got a breath test, .2ish, can´t remember exactly but I got a certificate!

We headed over to some rides in the evening and went on one called the breakdance, maybe not a good idea when you are drunk but no one was sick. I did lose my hat and my brand new sunnies fell out my pocket, only had them 5 days and they cost $250 AUS, ouch!

Sunday saw us have a nice walk around Landshut and a BBQ back at Margit´s.

Monday we went to a monestary
LandshutLandshutLandshut

View from the castle in Landshut.
where monks brew their own beer and have for about 500 years, a very nice drop! It was a 5 km hike from the station up the hill to the church but well worth it.

Tuesday saw us back in Munich, this time to see the sites, it rained all day so that sucked but Munich is great. We ended up at the Hofbrau Haus, a beer hall where Hitler made his first speeches for the Nationalist Socialist Party. They make good beer and good food. They also have traditional oompa bands there too.

The weather continued to be average on Wednesday as we headed to Regensburg. It is more of a shopping town so there wasn´t alot to see, just a church and a bridge so we headed back early and went bowling.

Thursday had the worst weather of all, we went to Nürnburg. Nürnburg is rcih with history surrounding the uprising of the Nazis. We visited a documentation centre and learnt alot about the history of Nürnburgs part in the Nazi Party and at the end of the war the trials that saw many of the Nazi Parties key figures tried for there crimes. We
Fine foodFine foodFine food

Bier brewed by Monks, pork knuckle and kartoffle salat (potato salad)
also checked out the castle there but as it was pouring down we couldn´t enjoy the gardens or much else so we went home. We were late home by 2 hours as the train stopped in the middle of nowhere and we had to transfer to a bus, not sure why though.

Friday saw as do nothing as we were heading into Munich that night for the Grand final. We cooked a roast for Margit but bought the wrong chickens. Apparently they have soup hens for, well, making soup. These hens used to be egg layers and upon retirement at 4 or 5 years that get the axe. It was like tring to eat a rubber chicken!

Grandfinal night was great, everyone knows the outcome, Ev was over the moon as he goes for Geelong, we were all stuffed as we had been awake for over 24 hours. I was drunk before we got to Munich at 12.30am, the footy started at 6.30am! Big night.

Saturday, slept all day then had a party with the neighbours.

On Sunday Finno´s cousins Florian and Isabell came over and we went to a mexican bar for margeritas.

Well
MunichMunichMunich

Gardens in Munich
that sums up my last week in Germany, we are now in Innsbruck, Austria, but that´s for next time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Oompa BandOompa Band
Oompa Band

Traditional German band in the Hofbrauhaus. Hitler first spoke in this bier hall on his rise with the National Socialist Party
RegensburgRegensburg
Regensburg

Nice wet day in Regensburg.
NuremburgNuremburg
Nuremburg

Home of the National Socialist party and The Nuremburg Trails after the war.
Family DinnerFamily Dinner
Family Dinner

L-R Finno, Matt, Shauny, Florian, Isabelle, Margit, Maja, Ev and Me


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1126s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb