The hills are alive.


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
October 1st 2007
Published: October 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Schonbrun PalaceSchonbrun PalaceSchonbrun Palace

Magnificent gardens at the summer palace of the royals in Vienna
I guess it has been a while since I last did one of these things so I can´t remember where I left off, I think it was Vienna.

After leaving good old Chesky Krumlov in Czech Republic and saying good bye to some new friends, John and Simon from England and Wherle and Fluff from NZ we head to Austria. Our journey took us along the mighty Danube, which due to recent rain, was absolutely flying along. The drive was very nice and a quick stop for a schnitzel was in order. Once full to the brim was schniters twice the size of your head it was on to Vienna.

Vienna was pretty cool and it seemed that there is a lot to see but we couldn´t be bothered. We took in the Schonbrun Palace gardens which are spectacular and massive. There is a zoo, big gardens and fountains and a maze there. Once we had our fun in the playground we headed into to town to check out the old buildings and stuff. Vey nice.

We caught up with John and Simon again, they stayed in the same hostel, and decided that we would all meet up
The WorkerThe WorkerThe Worker

Statue in Bratislava
again in Bratislava.
Shaun parted company with us for the weekend to meet Krystel in Salzburg and we continued on our journey to Bratislava in Slovekia.
Bratislava was very boring, we saw the city in an hour and pretty much spent the rest of the time at the pub. We also bumped into the kiwis again and all had drinks.

Shaun arrived in Bratislava on Sunday night and to have to leave again in the morning for our next leg to Graz. Graz is the home of big Arnie but has recently disowned him due to some death penalty thing. It is a nice town with a look out point and such. The best part for mind was the fact that the hostel had a climbing gym with a huge bouldering section. We all spent a couple of hours punishing ourselves in there and it was great to get some climbing finally after over 2 months. We were all wrecked at the end and a little sore too!

From Graz we headed to Hiligenblut in the mountains and stayed at a hostel with a magnificent backdrop.
After some great local food and a good night sleep we headed
Presidential PalacePresidential PalacePresidential Palace

One of the few things to see in Bratislava
up the mountains for a look at the Grossglockner, the largest peak in the Austrian alps at 3798 metres. The Grossglockner also has a glacier at the base so we took a walk down the track and had a look around, it was stunning. Along the track down it has signs for the levels it has been at over the past 40 years or so. It has receeded heaps! It won't be long until it is gone all together. Once we had finished being amazed by the views we drove across the mountains to Salzburg. It was a little daunting at times as the weather was closing in and earlier in threw morning you could only get through with snow chains, needless to say the drive was well worth at the views were once again priceless.

Salzburg is where The Sound of Music is set. Austria has some absolute gems of places with plenty to see and do. We spent a day being shown around by Shaun as he had done some tours when he was here the other week. We took a drive to some stunning lakes were we enjoyed dipping the toes in and drinking coffee. The
More stairs to climbMore stairs to climbMore stairs to climb

The way up to the clock tower and gardens in Graz
water was so blue and crystal clear, the lakes were nestled right in between huge mountains. A great part of the world!

The following day we headed to the Eagle´s Nest, a gift for Hitler on his 50th birthday. The building it self is not very interesting or spectacular but the views that surround it make it a popular attraction. We took a 40 minute hike around a mountain trail and at every turn were greeted with an amazing view. Once we had a beer to cool off and another snow ball fight it was time to head to Landshut to stay with Finno´s brother and Aunty. Oh and Oktoberfest!!!!!!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The ChurchThe Church
The Church

No, this isn't the infamous Church club in London but a nice view in Austria.
Our HostelOur Hostel
Our Hostel

One of the nicest settings to stop for the night. (Not as good as Zakopane)
PennyPenny
Penny

Finally a glimpse at Penny the Pug. Best car ever!
Kool and The GangKool and The Gang
Kool and The Gang

The Gang at Gross Glockner. (Kool being the temperature)
MarmotsMarmots
Marmots

Cute little critters that live on the mountains at Gross Glockner.
Royal ViewsRoyal Views
Royal Views

By now you have probably realised Europe is full of castles. This one is in Salzburg.
Wolf SeeWolf See
Wolf See

One of the beautiful lakes nestled between mountains in Austria.
The Eagles NestThe Eagles Nest
The Eagles Nest

A gift for Hitler's 50th birthday. He never actually stayed here but it was used as a conference centre. It is now a restaurant.


Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0922s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb