Hi from Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Munich
May 25th 2007
Published: May 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi all

Sorry its taken so long to email you all I wrote a long letter a few nights ago and it dropped out on me so lets try again!! Bare with me guys as the German keyboard is different as well!!

A brief summary: Flew to Singapore, met our friends Peter and Leonie. Next day went to Santosa Island, did the obligatory Singapore Sling at Raffles then Chili Mud Crab for dinner and Mothers Day. So hot and steamy there, could never live there!!!

Flew into Zurich and picked up our car, a Peugeot 407 wagon, then drove to Lucerne. From there we drove heaps thru the Swiss Alps, spectacular scenery!! The mountains rise straight up, are often snow capped with little Swiss cottages dotting the hill sides. The next day we drove a lot of the day towards Venice, found a nice little room at Treviso, then went into Venice the next day. Its as beautiful as ever, little winding lanes and eventually opening to St Marks Square and Cathedral. I still get goose bumps when I think of Venice and to see Petes face was priceless and probably similar to Michaels 5 years ago. We also did a gondola ride with 'Leonardo' the Italian Stallion!! Was a fantastic day!!

Left Venice and went to Vienna, another beautiful city with architecture to die for!! We did a hop off and hop on bus tour then went to visit St Stephens Cathedral. It was here we were approached by Guys dressed as Mozart selling tickets to a concert of Strauss and Mozart music that night. It fitted in with our plans to attend that night but we werent dressed appropriately (the guys in shorts us in jeans, all in runners). Well we were assured it was a very casual affair in a palace (of course) so went as we were!! Well the locals looked down their Viennese noses at us then were shocked when we had our photos taken on the grand staircase to record the night!!! Very funny! the music was awesome, mostly stringed instruments and piano and a great atmosphere!

Another funny story from Vienna was when we went into the Tourist Info to suss out a tour to Prague by bus rather than train as planned. Well Gunther (our new friend) looked after us and even runs a tour company, so we booked with him. He turned up to collect us with a 'lady' sitting next to him and introduced her as Anna from Rome. She was 6 ft at least with a voice deeper than John Laws and abody to match - very interesting!! Hold the phone for photos when we get home!

Our new friend Gunther was very good to us, he gave us suggestions for a scenic route the next day which took us from Vienna, along the Danube to Salzburg. We played the CD we purchased at the concert as we were driving and listened to the Blue Danube which will never be the same tune again for me!!! BTW we now call it the Dirty Danube, cos blue it aint!!! The
next day he let us follow him on a Sound of Music tour which he was hosting British and US visitors - so good!!! Lucky Pete and Trev had us ladies singing all the songs in the back for them!!! Sound of Music will never be the same for them either!!! :-)

We are now in Munich arrived yesterday and did a Walking tour of Hitler and the 3rd Reich, very interesting, hosted by an american guy who was very verbose and we bailed out early and went to Hofbrauhaus for dinner. Today we're doing a tour of the history of beer halls, which ends up again at Hofbrauhaus where we can stay on for the oom pa pa bands!!

Gotta go folks, hope all is well with you all, bad luck about the Blues last night!!!

Were off the Berlin tomorrow to meet up with Ray and Glenn so really looking forward to that one!!

Missing you all, Anne and Trev xxxx


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.063s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb