Finally Bavaria


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria » Augsburg
August 10th 2013
Published: August 13th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Schaezler Palace, Augsburg.Schaezler Palace, Augsburg.Schaezler Palace, Augsburg.

Probably the most ornate room we have ever seen
Terry had stayed at campsite Bella Augusta in Augsburg in 1964 and needed a nostalgia trip, we therefore booked in for a week. It is alongside a lake and has now become a place for Augsburgers to sunbathe and swim.

Again it was very hot but we decided next day to cycle into town, a distance of about 4 miles. It is a typical pretty German town with a pedestrianised area in the centre and painted buildings. One of the famous parts of Augsburg is the Fuggerei, the oldest social housing estate in the world. Built by Fugger the Richer in 1521 for the poor of Augsburg, the rent is still 70p per annum (take note Stockport Homes) but it is obligatory to pray three times per day! There is also a delightful Schaezler Palace built for a banker and containing a rococo banqueting hall of 1770 which is probably the most beautiful room we have ever seen. We looked at a few other buildings but were always glad to find shade and eventually set off home pretty exhausted and drank lots of water when we got back to the caravan. We later spoke to a German woman who was surprised at us riding into town "in this heat". Terry said he had seen a temperature sign outside a chemist that even said it could have been 39 degrees! Our German lady showed him the local evening paper that stated Augsburg's highest ever recorded temperature of 38.5 degrees had been broken today, indeed it was 39 degrees.

We went to Munich and again saw what a wonderful city it is. We parked at Bayern Munich's Allianz Arena but did not enter in deference to those friends of ours that would probably no longer be friends if we had! We drank beer in the famous Chinesische Beer Garden and watched the surfers going to and from either side of the river amongst some rapids in the Englischer Park.

Another day we went to see the concentration camp at Dachau. Again it was very hot but in reality there was not much to see as it was mostly destroyed by the Allies. It is mainly a museum and visited by many people laughing and taking photos, not to our taste.

We like Augsburg and the site is good, although not particularly well maintained. Michelle could join the Augsburgers by sunbathing and swimming the lake, so we decided to stay a further 10 days.

The site offered us winter storage for the caravan of 9 months for €160 (about £140) much less than the £200 we paid in England and as it saves on ferry costs and diesel we decided to take advantage of the offer. We leave on 12th August for home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Chinesische Turn Beer Garden.Chinesische Turn Beer Garden.
Chinesische Turn Beer Garden.

In the Englischer Park, Munich. Large pretzels and large beers.
Swimming and sunbathing lakeSwimming and sunbathing lake
Swimming and sunbathing lake

At our campsite Augsburg.
Our Last NightOur Last Night
Our Last Night

In a local beer garden


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb