Austria, Looking for Cool Air


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 29th 2013
Published: July 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

As we moved towards the border of Austria the landscape slowly changed, the dry parched earth and crumbling stone buildings of unkempt Italy gave way to green valleys and clean villages made up of wooden chalets with acute angled roofs proudly boasting blooming window boxes all built around white steepled churches.

We had pre-booked our site at Alpen Camping Mark near Innsbruck and were greeted by the owner with "Ah the English have arrived". It sounded like the cavalry! Nice, friendly, small, beautifully laid out campsite but only a small swimming pool.

On our second night the campsite was celebrating its 40th year and the local dignitaries had been invited. We went and had a drink at the bar to find that impromptu performances had started by different musicians including an umpah pa band accompanied by yodellers. We had not heard yodellers for many years.

We could not resist another visit to beautiful Innsbruck but this time took in the Imperial Palace which at times was breathtaking. Apfelstrudel with aperol spritz is now a must with Michelle so we spent some time, people watching from cafe tables.We were finally about to leave when we heard a traditional jazz band playing in the street. They were all dressed in New Orleans style and as they were singing in English we stayed and watched them for about an hour before they decided to walk off still playing. We were going that way anyway so listened for another few minutes, we followed them as they went into the market place,still playing, where we found a stage, several beer and food stalls and tables. We had come to a New Orleans Festival! As our jazz band disappeared from view still playing, a blues rock group were announced on stage where there were TV cameras and large screen at the side of the stage. Another hour went by until Michelle was giving the bored look which Terry, who had sat on the floor near the stage could see on the large screen and so we set off home.

We were reluctant to leave our rather idyllic campsite but they had more bookings than spaces so we had to move on to our next destination Salzburg. We had found a campsite Familien Aktiv, not far from Salzburg and on the bus route into town. It had a 5* rating so, although it was
Jazz Band in streetJazz Band in streetJazz Band in street

Together with eccentric front man, who apparently is a famous jazz player.
on the expensive side, we thought it was worth it. We booked by phone and asked for a week.

When we arrived they were closed for dinner but on looking at the site we were disappointed to say the least. Crowded and terraced it was at the top of a very steep hill and cut out of the mountain side. Nowhere to peg out an awning and no shade at all. We were wondering how to get out of the week's booking when they told us they could not find any booking and they were full. People who had arrived a few minutes after us were trying to make 3 point turns with caravans, however, the office found us a place for two nights and we were happy with that as we only needed the one day to see Salzburg.

Some places have been a disappointment like Milan, but Salzburg exceeded our expectations and we were excited from the start. The castle has never been sacked so it was in perfect condition. However although the state rooms were wonderful but the rest was largely mundane.

We then sat in one of the Squares, drinking coffee and eating pretzels, looking in amazement at the beautiful buildings around us, and the sound of various tenors singing, it seemed, in each corner of the square. We then walked in the park where choirs were singing. We watched some youngsters setting up to play as a band, when they started they introduced themselves as coming from Nantwich, England!

In this city of music, it is of little wonder that they chose to name the film The Sound of Music!

We had now had seven weeks with the temperature reaching over 30 degrees each day. We had hoped for a break from the heat in Austria but it was not to be, so enough now of Austria and we set out for Augsburg in Germany and a more temperate climate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View from the Castle Salzburg.View from the Castle Salzburg.
View from the Castle Salzburg.

Michelle at the bottom of the picture.


29th July 2013
Jazz Band in street

Street performers
We love running into local performers when we are traveling. Nice photo
31st July 2013
Jazz Band in street

Travel
Sounds like we are like minded travellers. We are about 10,000 miles apart but when we are next near will send you a message!

Tot: 0.324s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb