Day Eight - Enough of All This World War II Stuff....Let's Go Medieval


Advertisement
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
December 28th 2012
Published: May 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Still no relief from the sauna that is our bathroom. We actually cracked the windows open to get some fresh sea air during the night. Nevertheless, I got a good night's rest in preparation for our drive on to our next destination. I was going to miss the old Hotel Normandie which had been our French home for the past 4 nights. I might have been talked into one last big breakfast at the hotel, ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Slow On the Draw Once AgainSlow On the Draw Once Again
Slow On the Draw Once Again

Throughout this trip I kept forgetting to photograph my meals. That's the only way I can remember what I ate. It wasn't until dessert rolled around that I broke out my camera. I enjoyed my second crepe of the day to end my evening. If I remember correctly my main course was some sort of chicken breast and mushroom thing cooked in lots of creme.
Not for MeNot for Me
Not for Me

Looking back on things I probably should have sampled more of the local specialty ciders, but the couple that I tried elsewhere didn't exactly thrill me. Back home in the States I tried some New York State Cider made with apples and raspberries and found it to be one of the best alcoholic beverages ever. Maybe I didn't give the Normans a fair shake.
Oops They Caught MeOops They Caught Me
Oops They Caught Me

All night long the chef and a waiter from the ritzy restaurant next door kept popping into La Confiance for sips of wine and smokes. When I tried to secretly get their picture when they weren't looking, the suddenly looked right at me. Surprise! They just smiled and waved.
Back Out on the StreetBack Out on the Street
Back Out on the Street

We spent a good two hours in La Confiance. The placed filled rather quickly but no one hurried us out. That is not the European way. Finally we summoned Monsieur Fawlty over and paid our bill, Gail's mom went back to the hotel. Gail and I decided the night was still young so we went back up the Grand Rue.
The Night is Still YoungThe Night is Still Young
The Night is Still Young

The streets were completley deserted and all shops were closed. But the restaurants were still going strong despite it being almost 10 pm.
The Only Photo Worth KeepingThe Only Photo Worth Keeping
The Only Photo Worth Keeping

Both of us took a good many pictures of the night lights and the town but we discarded almost all of them. Instead of just snapping more pointless photos we decided to walkd up past the abbey and on into the dark corridors to the East. From there we got to see into some of the homes of the few regular inhabitants as well as into the back windows of the restaurants on the Grand Rue. Not knowing where the serpentine path was leading us I considered dropping breadcrumbs from the leftover roll I had swiped. But with all the seagulls roosting on the rooftops I knew they wouldn't last long. Besides, how lost could you get in a one street town? All tgoo quickly the path rejoined the Grand Rue down by the city gate. On our way back to our rooms we passed Monsieur Fawlty out for another smoke break.
All Our OwnAll Our Own
All Our Own

We walked back up to the abbey seeing no more than three or four other people along the way. Late at night the hike up didn't seem half as strenuous. Maybe the beers opened up my lungs. Up on the parapets we couldn't see much of the bay because of the fog.



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb