Day Eight - Enough of All This World War II Stuff....Let's Go Medieval


Advertisement
Europe » France » Lower Normandy » Mont Saint-Michel
December 28th 2012
Published: May 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Still no relief from the sauna that is our bathroom. We actually cracked the windows open to get some fresh sea air during the night. Nevertheless, I got a good night's rest in preparation for our drive on to our next destination. I was going to miss the old Hotel Normandie which had been our French home for the past 4 nights. I might have been talked into one last big breakfast at the hotel, ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 91, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

An Uncommon SightAn Uncommon Sight
An Uncommon Sight

No tourists in the shot. A little sunlight would've made for a rather nice shot.
The Gate Leading to the Way DownThe Gate Leading to the Way Down
The Gate Leading to the Way Down

We had been at the abbey/monastery long enough. Time to check out the restaurants and stores.
Looking Out of My Hotel Room WindowLooking Out of My Hotel Room Window
Looking Out of My Hotel Room Window

When we finally got down to just a few feet above sea level we stopped back at the White Sheep to see if our rooms were ready. They were and we were not disappointed. Definitely not the Mandarin Oriental but it beat a Holiday Express by a long shot. We couldn't tarry however because it wouldn't take much to see the girls falling back on their beds and sleeping away the rest of the day.
My Kind of SouvenirsMy Kind of Souvenirs
My Kind of Souvenirs

Why didn't they have all these cool weapons for sale when my parents were lugging us around to Williamsburg and Yorktown? Samurai swords in France?
Looking Back to Whence We CameLooking Back to Whence We Came
Looking Back to Whence We Came

After looking around in the big well-stocked souvenir shop just a few steps away from our hotel we walked out the back door and onto the top of the fortress's South wall. Off in the distance near the treeline is the parking area.
Looks Like Our Roof Back HomeLooks Like Our Roof Back Home
Looks Like Our Roof Back Home

Not the shingles, but the green mossy junk stubbornly clinging to the roof. They need a powerwasher pronto. Again, we were thrilled to have found a spot sans tourists.
Looking Back Up at the AbbeyLooking Back Up at the Abbey
Looking Back Up at the Abbey

It must be annoying being one of the 44 inhabitants that actually live in town. Tourists are constantly snapping photos with your house in it. Better put a bathrobe on the instant you step out of the shower.
Up Above the City GateUp Above the City Gate
Up Above the City Gate

We took a little stroll along the parapet eventually reaching one of the guardhouses above the town gate. Don't ask me which of the three. I don't remember.
Looking Up at the Abbey from Another AngleLooking Up at the Abbey from Another Angle
Looking Up at the Abbey from Another Angle

Sorry, but the rest of this day's photos are pretty much more and more of the same. Obviously we loved it here.
The Flag of NormandyThe Flag of Normandy
The Flag of Normandy

Mont St Michel is on the border of Normandy and Brittany. Depending on which way the wind is blowing and what's more fashionable, they claim to be part of one or the other. Today they were Normans.
Hmmm.  That Sounds Like Just What We WantHmmm.  That Sounds Like Just What We Want
Hmmm. That Sounds Like Just What We Want

Mont St Michel is somewhat reknowned for its crepes. An episode of Rick Steves in MSM had him dining at a restaurant where the cook mixing the crepe batter played out a catchy drum solo on the huge copper mixing bowl. Like they say, "When in MSM do as the MSMers do".
Construction Work on the Approach RoadConstruction Work on the Approach Road
Construction Work on the Approach Road

We later learned we screwed-up coming in from the parking lot. As hotel guests we could've been picked-up closer to where we parked and dropped-off right wher ethe family with the wheelchair patient are standing. When we left MSM with our numerous bags of souvenirs and overnight gear we took advantage of our preferred status and hopped on the bus there.
A Bit Off the Beaten TrackA Bit Off the Beaten Track
A Bit Off the Beaten Track

Walking along the South wall we saw very few other tourists. They seemed to be concentrated up at the abbey and on the street with all the storefronts. We found an open iron gate and took a gander inside which led us to this somewhat residential area away from the madding crowd.
The Innermost Town GateThe Innermost Town Gate
The Innermost Town Gate

Climbing back down from the wall we emerged into the world of shopping tourists. Look at all the dudes carrying purses. Sorry, "European Carry-alls". So many dandy fancy boys.
Sitting on a Park Bench....Sitting on a Park Bench....
Sitting on a Park Bench....

Eyeing Norman girls with bad intent. While Gail went to the ATM we took a moment to repose. Check out our filthy footwear after more than a week of French rain and mud.
One of the Fancier Hotels in TownOne of the Fancier Hotels in Town
One of the Fancier Hotels in Town

I hope the bellhop comes down and carries your bag and yourself up those steps for the kind of money they're charging there: rooms start at over $200 per night.
Now for Some Genuine French DelicaciesNow for Some Genuine French Delicacies
Now for Some Genuine French Delicacies

ChiChi's churros? Nestle ice cream? Coke and Pepsi? We kept walking right by this joint on our way to find a quick late lunch.
More Like ItMore Like It
More Like It

But not quite. Crepes sounded good but not ones that had been sitting in the display case for weeks. Reminds me of those hot dogs on the rollers at 7-Eleven.
Soon to Be the Latest Addition to My MancaveSoon to Be the Latest Addition to My Mancave
Soon to Be the Latest Addition to My Mancave

A true sign that Gail and I have been married way too long was the fact that I spotted these monstrosities as we walked around looking for a bite to eat. I didn't say a word about my interest. A few hours later as we were hitting all the souvenir shops on the Grand Rue (a rather pretentious name for the ONLY street on MSM) Gail spotted these and said "That would look good in your mancave". It took us until the next morning to buy it as we searched everywhere for the best deal.



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 97; dbt: 0.1349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb