Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 16th 2009
Published: September 16th 2009
Edit Blog Post

It's fantastic how easy it is to get around Paris. In two days, jetlagged and all, we've managed to see most of the good sights we came to see! Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, the river Seine, Sacre Coeur, Moulin Rouge, Arch de Triumph....

It all started yesterday, Tuesday, when we landed with a frightening hard bumpy landing in our Singapore Airlines A380 at 7am. Lucky we got there early because just after we got our baggage the ground staff went on strike! Lots of people unhappy and luggage-less! After a quick freshen up in the airport bathroom we caught a train into town where a chocolate croissant and coffee was our main priority.

Next stop was the hotel, quite nice, near Montparnasse, although the lift was so claustrophobic I almost panicked! After we checked in we headed to St Germain des Pres for a luxury hot chocolate at Les Deux Magots, a famous cafe near the St Germain cathedral. The weather was lovely so we then walked over the river to the Louvre where we discovered it was already 7pm and it seemed like 3pm there was still so much light! I guess all of those photo stops of Angi's took up lots of time 😊 We caught the metro over to the Eiffel Tower for some photos then went to our hotel and slept for 12 hours!!

Today we had a nice breakfast in our hotel (we're going to get fat with all of thse croissants and bread and cheese (frommage) although Angi is in heaven, and so am I really), then we caught the metro up to the Sacre Coeur which is a big church up on a hill. We did some shopping for gifts at some cute stores near the base of the hill then we walked up the many steps to the church. We then decided to pay 5 euro and walk up to the top of the roof of the church, zhich seemed like a good idea until we got up 60 of the 300 stairs in a narrow stone staircase where I started to panic! Lucky Angi was there though cause she talked me through it. We made it to the top - it was extremely high up - and got some great photos.

The area around the Sacre Coeur is beautiful; cobble stoned streets and very reasonably priced cafe's and great Gelati! 😊 Again, Angi was in heaven 😊 We then walked around to the Moulin Rouge where we got some good photos and found a nice pub where we relaxed with a beer. Last stop for the day was the Arch de Triump where a service was happening, and a little shopping nearby in a very weird department store.

Tomorrow we catch a train to St Jean Pied De Port where we will pick up our "credential" - the passport for the Camino in which we can get stamps for each town we visit on our hike - and post some items we don't need on our hike to Santiago for pick up when we finish. Then we'll taxi to Orisson to stay the night and on Friday we start walking!







Advertisement



16th September 2009

Wow
You are sure covering a lot of ground. It is wonderful reading this. Many thanks again for the sharing.
18th September 2009

Hello Luci and Angie
Thanks for your update in Paris. Great read and seems as though you are having lots of fun already. I'm home from the coast again now - Friday and sent you a text message ...wish you well on your walk ---- walk each step with love and joy... this will bring you lots of energy.....All the best to you both and lots of love and blessings... thinking of you both... Love Your Mum Patricia xxxxxx Walking with you in spirit.....
21st September 2009

Exciting - Good Luck Luci
Wow!! I am sitting here at my desk and thank to your awesome updates so far I am actually there carrying your bag. Damn it sounds awesome. Brings back some great memories of travelling around Paris. Coffee and chocolate croissants. I' can almost taste it. Not to mention those big bowls of coffee. Yum!! Keep the updates coming. Fantastic!! Have fun!! Cheers Graeme
22nd September 2009

Paris rocks!
Great to hear you managed to see some of the amazing places Paris has to offer. How awesome is the mosaic tiled roof inside the Sacre Couer? I hope you didn't get hassled by the 'friendship band gang' - a bunch of guys who try talk you into letting them braid a friendship band on your wrist, while they tell you a sad story of their troubles in coming to France, then demand you pay for the band! I got a heads-up on these guys and kept my hands in my pockets and said 'No thanks!'. We miss you Lu!

Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb