Day 11- Free day!


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
June 1st 2009
Published: June 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Today was our free day in france!!!! It was also a national holiday-Penetecost Monday. At 7:15 nine of us cauge the TGV train to Paris. The train ride was two and a half hours long. It was definately a nicer train than the one we took to Lucerne. Once we arrived we bought all day metro passes so that we could get around on the subway. While waiting in line to buy the passes we met a girl from Canada that had been traveling for the past five months by herself. She had been to Austrilia, New Zealand, all over Asia, Germany, and now she was in Paris. Our 1st stop- The Effiel Tower of course!!! We took lots and lots of pictures. I wanted to go to the top but the lines were so long. We then met up with a friend of Cat's that is studying abroad in France. Her major is french so it was a great help having her along with us. After the tower we got an all day boat pass that takes you around to all the major tourists attractions (only 8 euros w/ a student i.d.) and lets you get on and off as you please. We stopped and had lunch next. We got a three course meal for only 12 euros. Mine was a salade that had mayo, ham, and potatoes (just like american potato salade pretty much) lasange, and chocolate and strawberry ice cream for dessert. After lunch we toured the Notre Dame Cathedral. It was the most breathtaking thing I had ever seen. I felt so good about myself just for being there, it almost gave me tears. Its 500-something steps to the top, but it cost 9 euros and the line was wrapped around the cathedral to go up so we skipped going to the top. We walked to the Louvre next. I cannot believe that someone used to live there, it is huge!!! I enjoyed seeing the glass pyramids that are in the movie The Da Vinci code! We didn't go inside just because not everyone wanted too and we were trying very hard to stay together as a group. Our next stop was the Arch of Triumph. Its beautiful in person. You take an underground walking tunnel to get to it because it is in the middle of a busy roundabout. Underneath the arch they have the tomb of the unknown soilder which they have an eternal flame burning for him and a flowers placed all around. It has been unknow since 1920. This is the 1st of many tombs of unknown soilders around the world. After visiting the unknown soilder we walked down the Champs-Elysees, which is also one of the most famous streets in the world. We stopped in the Louis Vuitton shop and Jamie bought a bag (so jealous!). We took the subway to the Montmartre, which is a hill and is the highest point in paris. The Basilica of the Sacré Cœur is at the top of the hill. Here we stopped at a small cafe, and had drinks and dinner. The french onion soup was to die for!! After dinner it was time to get back on the metro and take it to the train station to catch our 9:54pm train. We were in Paris for almost 12 hours. Everyone who went decided that it was a very successful day!!! It was worth the expensive train ticket!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0967s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb