Paris with the Cassellas


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
January 14th 2006
Published: February 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Walking to the CatacombsWalking to the CatacombsWalking to the Catacombs

Chris, Nick, Carly, Cheryl, Justin and Lucy
In keeping with our new years resolution....to travel more.....we decided mid January that it was time for a quick weekend getaway to Paris, to visit some good family friends - the Cassellas.

Friday 13th of January 2006
We caught the wonderful Eurostar to Paris Friday night to stay with the Cassellas.....I'm sure we managed to wake everyone (Chris, Cheryl, Nick, Carley and Lucy) upon arrival.

Saturday 14th January 2006
We decided on quite a morbid itinerary for Saturday, the theme was.....dead people. We started by visiting Napoleons crypt. It was the centrepiece of an amazing church, and if you want to know more you are going to have to ask Carley or Cheryl, who were listening intently to the audio guide. Lucy and I couldn’t keep up with the audio guide but decided that this is how we were going to be buried.

Next was a visit to the bright and cheerful Catacombs. The Catacombs are in an old quarry 200 metres below the centre of Paris. The maze of tunnels run for 1.6km and are full of the bones of millions of Parisians. The bones were moved here for aesthetic reasons as well as to make more
Napoleons CryptNapoleons CryptNapoleons Crypt

Lucy and I decided this is how we want to be burried
room in the city. There is nothing between you and millions of piled skulls and bones. Some of the stacks used the skulls to form patterns and pictures…..slightly odd. At first it is an eerie feeling but after 1km of skeletons you somehow become desensitised to the whole thing…..as can be seen in the photos.

Finally, to top off the day we went and visited Jim Morrison’s grave, which is the most visited grave site in the world. The grave yard was beautiful and also housed other famous artists and musicians.

For dinner Chris and Cheryl took us out for a lovely meal (thanks guys) and according to their pedometer (which we took with us all day) we had taken 22,000 steps that day so we figured we earned our dessert.

Sunday 15th January 2006
We decided to spend the day at the Palace of Versailles. An amazing palace just outside of Paris with fantastic gardens. We wandered around the palace, the private theatre, the Hall of mirrors (where the World War 2 peace agreement was singned) and the gardens. Then unfortunately our Eurostar was calling so Justin and I jumped back on the train to London, and left the Cassellas to enjoy their peace and quiet!

It was great to see you all, Chris, Cheryl, Nick, Carley and Lucy. Thanks for letting us stay, and you never know where we will bump into each other next!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chris touching the bonesChris touching the bones
Chris touching the bones

Cheryl swore he would never touch her again
Jim Morrisons graveJim Morrisons grave
Jim Morrisons grave

The most visited grave in the world
The hall of MirrorsThe hall of Mirrors
The hall of Mirrors

The WW2 peace agreement was signed here


Tot: 0.412s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 85; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb