Ah . . . Paris


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
November 17th 2008
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello All,

I know it has been a really long time, so I am backdating these posts to reflect the time that I went to various places. The last post you all got to read was when my Mom, Grandma, and the Fishers came to visit. Since then, my travels have been intense; with little time between.

Amanda and I went to Paris in November. It was a really great trip. Neither of us had ever been there before. We took the Eurostar train from St. Pancras Station via Chunnel to Paris. Taking the train is really great; no travel time to an airport, less stringent security measures, fewer delays. We arrived in Paris on Saturday morning both tired and excited. We checked into our hotel: Hotel Splendid. It was located right next to the Military School and a ten-minute walk from the Eiffel Tower. We both knew that this trip was not going to be leisurely. We both wanted to see as much of the city as we possibly could. First step then was to get oriented and head out.

We bought the Paris Pass as suggested by a co-worker. It was really a great deal. For a two-day pass, it got us into museums, attractions, and the metro for free. I suggest if you go, to use it. For our first day, we decided to do things that aren’t included on that pass. The Eiffel Tower was the highlight of the day. That is if you do not count the encounter between Amanda and the bird. After we checked in, we walked down to the Eiffel Tower to see the area. Once there, we went and got ourselves a French hotdog. It’s a hotdog in a hollow baguette. As we walked, we saw the Seine River. As we strolled down the river, I turned to Amanda to say, ‘Can you believe we are in Paris?’ She smiled and leaned in for a kiss. SPLAT! A hovering bird released the contents of its little birdie bowels right in the inner corner of Amanda’s eye.

This was by far the most memorable moment. Other than that, the Eiffel Tower at night was an amazing experience. Amanda was a little scared to be that high, but she enjoyed it nonetheless. The following day we did the Notre Damn Cathedral. It was an amazing church. One of the most amazing I had ever seen. We went up to the Bell Towers, and down into the crypt. It was very cool. We also did Napolean’s Tomb, the Opera House, and the Louvre. The Louvre was amazing. We saw the Venus as well as the Mona Lisa. I was very impressed with the Mona Lisa. Everyone I had talked to made it sound like it was 8.5 by 11 inches, when really is was the size of a normal portrait. They had a lot of DaVinci paintings there.

We also did a River Cruise at night. We saw a lot of the city that way. The Arc de Triumph was also a really cool thing to see. Versailles was also absolutely amazing. However, I will say perhaps the French overdid themselves on that palace. The grounds were by far the best part about it. I wish we had been able to go in the summer when the fountains were on. All in all, I really enjoyed Paris. The people were really nice, the food was great, and the sights weren’t terribly crowded. The Next trip due up would be the trip to Munich.

Hope you all are well!

Aaron

PS - Leave Comments



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



1st February 2009

Oh Beastie,
You're even more beastilicious in Paris. Nice Notre Dame pic.
1st February 2009

Hey PAD
Hey Paul! I hope all is well. Have I heard correctly that you are having another child? PAD make another baby? What si your e-mail address so I can get in touch you?
9th February 2009

you don't know PAD's e-mail address? have shame.

Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb