From Skeletons to Naked Girls, what a day


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we went and saw the catacombs, an amazing part of Paris' history. They were created because of a lot of illness in the area that was blamed on a cemetery. So they exhumed all the bodies and moved them into some unused mines. Click here for more info. An amazing sight, very humbling actually.

After that we walked to Luxembourg gardens for a picnic. It was a lovely day and they are beautiful gardens. There were people everywhere, especially uni students talking and studying. We then walked through Saint Louis Island which had lots of character and lots of great looking restaurants and shops. Paige was in heaven. We ended up having an ice cream (which we read was the best in the city) right on the river whilst listening to a guy playing jazz on his sax. It was a great moment in time.

We headed home then as we didn't want to be too tired for our big night. We'd splurged out and bought tickets for the Moulin Rouge, at €90 each it had better be good. We bought the tickets through a tour agency so it included a free bus trip around Paris to see it by night. It started at 9:30 so we headed back to the street we found the night before for a few drinks. We found a piano bar with a happy hour and had a great time people watching and listening to some great live music. We then grabbed a quick Gyro (kebab) and headed to the tour office to start our bus ride. We got there just in time and collected our tickets. I remember saying to Paige that I had better not lose these as they were worth a lot of money. I should have knocked on some wood (i.e. my head). The qucik tour was great and around 10:30 they dropped us outside the Moulin Rouge to line up. Yep you guessed it I couldn't find the tickets. I was a bit tipsy by this time so after freaking out for a bit we told the tour guide and he sorted it all out for us...... Thank god.

The show was good but we couldn't say great. I think what made it all worth while was the fact that we were in Paris watching the Moulin Rouge. Seeing that same show anywhere else you would have been very disappointed.

All in all we had a fantastic day and night in Paris. Tomorrow Versailles...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb