We get to the Eiffel Tower.. at last


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Versailles
September 24th 2008
Published: September 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: The Eiffel Tower (sideways) 13 secs
Weird Art at VersaillesWeird Art at VersaillesWeird Art at Versailles

Jeff Koons' balloon dog????

Hungover at Versailles


We woke up the next morning supporting a bit of a hangover so it did take us a bit to get going. After we showered and got some breakfast from the great patisserie across from the hotel, we jumped on a train to see the Palace of Versailles, about a 40 minute train ride from Paris.

Versailles is a huge palace surrounded by the most amazing gardens. We pushed our way through the state rooms and the Hall of Mirrors which was great but there were so many tour groups there plugging up the walkway. Not great when your hungover. For some reason every room had a piece of modern art stuck in it (by some guy named Jeff Koons). It was a very weird mix of new and old. We then had a picnic in the gardens. It was a beautiful day and sitting down with gardens to the horizon and eating a yummy sandwich was a great part of the day. We then headed back into the palace for a guided tour. The tour guide was your quintessential frenchman. If he was around in the time of the royals he would have definitely been an aristocrat. He was a wealth of knowledge and the 90 minute tour was fantastic.

The Tower


It was late by the time we left Versailles, so after a quick pit stop at the hotel to pick up some warm gear we headed out to the Eiffel Tower. We got out of the metro station and got to see the tower at dusk from the end of the long park that adjoins it. It was a great sight. We then bought our tickets and headed up to the top. There was about a 30 minute wait at the second level to get to the very top but it was worth the wait. Beautiful sights with my beautiful wife.




Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

The Gardens at VersaillesThe Gardens at Versailles
The Gardens at Versailles

This photo really doesn't do it justice
Our very french guideOur very french guide
Our very french guide

He was a fantastic wealth of knowledge
The Eiffel TowerThe Eiffel Tower
The Eiffel Tower

Finally... We made it
The skylineThe skyline
The skyline

The blue light is the powerful spot light the rotates on the top of the tower
At the topAt the top
At the top

No paige is not still drunk, just a bit cold


Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0568s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb