Corsica, Calvi


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Corsica
September 7th 2008
Published: September 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday
Have tried several times to log on at the hotel and finally got round all the permissions and French keyboard (struggled to find the '@' key at first)!! Therefore excuse the mis-types and acute accents should they arise (now where the hell is the full stop?!)
End of our first week and today is the first sign of any real cloud (hence the blog). Michael has a little heat stroke so I am keeping busy while he sleeps. Corsica (and Calvi in particular) is beautiful. The hotel is very luxurious (clean towels twice a day, breakfasts to die for, 4 pools - one which looks out over the bay, courtesy car service down to town or back whenever you want until 1 am, private beach with all mod cons, daily papers (M’s in heaven) and very nice staff. Michelin 2* is out of bounds (starters begin at 50 pounds, yes fifty!!) but the Bistro is nice and more reasonable and the town is full of nice places to eat. Met a very friendly couple from Staffs (Eccleshall) on the first day so have spent time sharing meals which is nice.
Plan to hire a car for a couple of days next week to do the wine tour and artisans trail and visit St Florent up the coast but the interior and coast to the west is not for the faint hearted (one couple did 50 miles in 2.5 hours on non-stop very narrow roads to get to Porto. We plan to do it by boat - much more sensible. We will definitely consider returning to another part of the island. Did a coach excursion (don’t laugh) to Corte and the local parkland which was very attractive but full of coach parties!! We decided we’re not ready for them yet and have declined further offers!
Will try to publish this before hotel logs me out!!
Di


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb