Oh my god we get a sofa tomorrow


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Sauveterre-de-Béarn
November 24th 2006
Published: November 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

lescunlescunlescun

mountain road
It is amazing how the small things matter - for the last three weeks we have been perched on two capming chairs and two particularly nasty orange poofs (which is alright if there is only two of you but with five the poofs start complaining!)

Anyway back to the beginning...

We arrived in France on a particularly foggy morning ...which will be nothing new to those of you who know Northern France... but meant that we spent an intersting 30 mins attempting to determine where we where.

Once that small obstacle was over come - we were trucking - all be it at Cadbury's top speed of 100kph.

We reached Arcachon, just south of Bordeaux by 6 and decided to stop for a night in a bed - having slept on thenight on the floor of the ferry.

Up bright and early the next day we got to Sauveterre by 11.30 just in time for a quick shop for lunch in the local supermache.

With the weather superb we set up a rug in the garden and stared to dig into the cheese, jambon, pate and 20 litres of wine - a perfectly civilised sunday
sanchezsanchezsanchez

A view over the plateau sanchez
lunch for 5.

After an uncomfortable night we dragged poor Vicki around Pau hunting for a Bed and a Fridge - well guests need cold wine!!

The weather held out for the rest of the week and we all had a fab time investigating the mountains and St Jean Peid de Port in the blazing sunshine.

We ventured into the mountains to the Circe de Lescun - a fantastic walk from Lescun up towards the mountains along winding roads on a beautiful warm novembers day. We then took a path off the road and along the edge of the mountains to the Plateau Sanchez, a wide open space and a great location to sit and rest our feet for a while.

The flora and fauna of such an area along with the view is quite breath taking - large birds of prey, lizards and we even picked up a very friendly farm dog for most of the walk - he was promptly nicked named Steve and took the lead for the journey home (he seemed to know where he was going!). We had also been told that there are bears in the mountains but unfortunately, even with the help of Chris and Vicki keeping a look out, none crossed our path .. maybe next time!
With Matthew as official photographer for the day we sauntered back to the house for a large well earned meal and a little slide show of the days events! We hope you enjoy some of his shots.

Since then Benny and I have been left to our own devices and to date we are still married and it doesn't look as though the town want to throw us out - yet....

Benny has started to demolish a bed room - no comment - and we have met the local mayor - a nice chap and not a hint of a Basque accent.

At the moment the snow is falling in the mountains and the ski season is only a few weeks away.

Keep in touch and if you fancy a trip to France.....






Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

water sourcewater source
water source

The water fall at plateau sanchez
Bear DanceBear Dance
Bear Dance

Even Chris and Vicki's the magical Bear dance wouldn't bring the bears out....
LescunLescun
Lescun

A pretty village house in Lescun
Freindly SteveFreindly Steve
Freindly Steve

Our guide for the day!
SanchezSanchez
Sanchez

The open plateau of sanchez
streamsstreams
streams

Babbling mountain streams


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb