Bordeaux


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Aquitaine » Bordeaux
August 29th 2009
Published: September 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello,

We arrived in Bordeaux and figured out how to navigate ourselves to another part of town, Gambetta Square. We booked a nice room from Camere at the La Chic de Lyon. We strolled a couple blocks into Gambetta Square to find a full-scale Tour de France bicycle qualifier going on! The race comprised about 60 2-3km laps (not real sure on this distance but the groups were flying around every few minutes) around the Gambetta Square area. I love biclying these days so you know I was pumped. We even drank wine at a cafe with seats right in front of the barricades with a perfect view as they flew around. It was just awesome to get such a surprise in Bordeaux right away. A guy named Brice blahblahfrenchie won. For those that watched the Tour de France just recently, we was a wild card that was let in and actually surprised everyone by winning one stage and performing very well in others, leading the commentators to call him the future of French cycling. I remembered watching him in the Tour on t.v. and recognized him right away during the race...and that made it extra fun.

8/29 - Wake up and hit up a big fruit and veggie market. I get cafe au lait's now in France. Ah, and we found a bomb sushi place just off the square, I ate here about 3 times. We walked over to this other square with a beautiful church and witnessed a full scale skate session in progress.

Here's a quick video of the skate session and cool atmosphere going on:


At night, we had dinner and wine by the church and polished things off with a carton of chocolate ice cream from the grocery!

8/30 - We went for a run by a pretty river in the morning and then switched hostels. We went to a vineyard today in St. Emillion. It's one of the best areas and the wine was great. As the tour guide was introducing herself and the driver, I noticed virtually every navigator in France is named Jacque. Boats, buses, whatever, if he's driving, his name is Jacque. The town of St. Emillion is very small and sleepy but very cool.

8/31 - Another winery today, owned and operated by the 12th generation!

That's it for Bordeaux. It was great. We had a lot of lucky entertaining events just happen while we were there and the wine was soooo good and soooo cheap. On to Paris.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

What we tastedWhat we tasted
What we tasted

Great wine, cheapest bottle they sold was 14Euro with that being the direct price.
Town of St. EmillionTown of St. Emillion
Town of St. Emillion

Really cool quant little place.


13th September 2009

Awesome!
The pictures are awesome!! What a wonderful journey. Keep posting those pictures so I know you and Claire are OK! :)
23rd September 2009

I'm noticing a pattern
The entries on vineyards tend to be pretty short.
6th October 2009

That does it...I really want to go to France. I love vineyards, and wineries, and for that matter wine in general. This looked like my kind of trip for sure. You are really experiencing all that Europe has to offer! I just love you BLOG. Keep it coming. It is the next best thing to being there, and I just love seeing both of your smiling faces! - Leslie

Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb