Paris at New Years - 1 January 2009


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France » Île-de-France » Paris
January 1st 2009
Published: January 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Happy New Year to everyone from Paris - our favourite city in the world.

First let me say that we spent a wonderful evening last night at the 56th floor restaurant, Le Ciel de Paris - Tour Maine Montparnasse. The evening was clear and we had a window seat looking out at the Eiffel Tower. The view was spectacular and we enjoyed the hour's worth of fireworks (of which the Paris experts assured us there were none!). The Eiffel Tower remained lit after the 12 midnight hourly sparkling.

The meal was a set menu and included unlimited white Pommery and Jacquart rose champagne, white wine and a spectacular 1er cru Burgundy red wine. The amuse bouche was a marinated salmon with a caviar emulsion. This was followed by an entre which was an opera (cake) of layers of foie gras and spiced bread accompanied by a fine herb salad and a "verrine" of apple and dried fruit confiture. The fish course was great - a pot en croute of lobster and scallops in an orange and saffron flavoured juice. Lime crushed ice served as a palate cleanser. Next was a veal filet with a packet of minced sweetbreads and morels and a scoop of truffle risotto. Four desserts on a plate included a molten chocolate cake and a fig stuffed with a fresh fruit salad. We danced to a live orchestra, drank too much and chatted sparingly with fellow diners(two of which don't happen enough at home). Coffee ad delices completed the dinner.

Things to consider before planning a holiday this time of year in Paris


- weather wasn't a factor - we were prepared and we are Canadians, eh.
- many of the restaurants that we had on our list are closed over the holiday season - Savoy, Sagittaire, Hier et Aujourd'hui
- Restaurants that are open are crowded with locals who eat out frequently during the holiday season - including our favourite bar Taverne Henri IV
- meals are priced up at this time of year at some locations
- there are many Parisians out and about with their children at sites
- some businesses and stores and cafes etc. are closed or on reduced hours
- if you rent an apartment - owners often impose a minimum stay at this time of year, prices are higher and local parties can make your stay less peaceful
- the Metro was packed more than normal

All in all, would we go again at this time of year? In the blink of a Parisian light!



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



1st January 2009

I'd rather be in Paris
Thanks for posting this, Bob. Sounds like an excellent start to your vacation. Just to make you feel even better, we are having a blizzard in Halifax today ... about 30 cms of snow with wind gusts to 90 k/hr. I'd rather be in Paris. Looking forward to hearing more!

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb